F#$# Cracked diff support ears on subframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F#$# Cracked diff support ears on subframe

saw this. The other side is getting there. and the top two bolts are missing. I dont feel like replacing the whole thing because i just pressed in new bushings. F@#$!!!!

weld in some plates? or replace the whole subframe?

You done goofed!

Sorry to hear your misfortune. What do you think caused it? Were you launching it or drifting it? I would certainly weld in a reinforcement and perhaps keep an eye out for another subframe in case it just doesn't hold.

Comment

I bought the car like this

it has 4.10 gears so I am assuming the top two bolts werent tightened on reassembly and stress of the quicker diff did it

Comment

You need a new subframe. The possible causes could be a bad differential mount or loose bolts
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

u guys dont think welding something in like that would work?

Comment

Mine had several hair line cracks and 3 of the holes were elongated. I fixed the cracks and welded in 1/8" plates to reinforce all of the 4 differential bolts. The torque on those bolts is pretty high and loctite is recommended- they like to come loose.

Comment

how long ago was this? do you think it will stand up to some beatings?

Comment

My subframe will absolutely last. I do a lot of fabrication work in motorsport applications. I was planning to beef up that subframe prior to finding the 'damage'. I needed the subframe to hold up to the S54 in my eta but it happened to be installed in my M3 when I sold it last week. So it went with the car. But the metal at those stress locations is now more than double the factory thickness. I wish I had pictures.

Comment

Same thing happened to me. P.o. was a hack ass mechanic and stripped all of the bolts out. When I would take off from a light you could hear the diff thumping around. I just replaced the subframe.
                  Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
                  I don silk gloves and place them into a sacred envelope made of magic and lined with Unicorn fur, seal the envelope with an adhesive made from strands of Gypsy hair and wrap the whole thing in a snazzy looking faux gold leaf paper, with elm leaf inlay from Costco. Unfortunately, by the time it gets to you, all of that fancy stuff will likely have been picked clean by the greedy postal service employees. Please don't be surprised to see just a plain envelope.

Comment

^^Oh man.. He stripped out the bolts?? What a recipe for disaster.. They are bad enough when you don't strip the threads. ha.

Comment

yah i would replace the subframe if i didnt press new bushings into it... it seems like a waste.. thats a last resort for me. even with the size of the hole would I be able to safely weld a plate on top of it?

Comment

i'd get a new subframe. Its a much safer option. You wouldnt want the same thing hapening again
                        sigpic
                        1991 BMW 318is Brilliantrot
                        1998 Jeep Cherokee TD Black

Comment

Originally posted by omar510 View Post
                          and the top two bolts are missing.
                          Did all of you that are speculating on what caused this miss the original post? This is what caused it.

And yes, you need to pull that subframe out. Its now junk.
                          sigpic

Comment

^^Yeah, I saw that. That's what usually happens, especially after someone changes their own diff. They can't get a proper torque on the upper bolts and they say "It's good enough", although it usually isn't. Then those bolts back out. I've seen it a lot with the DE crowd around here.

Honestly while it can be repaired, I would go get another that is already solid. Reinforce it if you want, but you will have to add a lot of material back into that one to be at square-one. Subframes are cheap. I would recommend poly bushings too. You don't have to press those in and if you get the right bushings they won't make any extra noise (I know the Powerflex purple bushings are nice).

Comment

Originally posted by omar510 View Post
                              u guys dont think welding something in like that would work?

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47123
                              If you end up getting a set let me know, i'd like to get one.
                              They call me the frog

- E30 Alpina C2 2.7
                              - E30 Alpina C2 2.5
                              - E28 M 528I 3.5 (300HP)
                              - E36 M3 S50 3.2 (Euro)

Comment

Working...
                              X