Control arms re-installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control arms re-installation

Hey guys, right now i have replaced the front control arms and the control arm bushings, tie rod ends, and sway bar end-links.

Getting everything bolted up (arms, bushings, etc).. im having one hell-of-a-time trying to get the front spindle over the ball joint! i need about an inch or so.. and i can't force the arm a little lower.. is there anyway to compress the strut a little so i can get it on there?

any help would be great! thanks guys

Try using a scissor jack to lift the strut a bit

Comment

Disconnect the sway bar first, then step on the control arm to push it down more while your buddy shoves the strut into place.

Don't forget to use a floor jack to shove the ball joint "in" hard enough to get the nut tight, otherwise it just spins.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

HA! i ended up just unbolting the control arm, dropping it a little, and then getting the spindle on..

did both sides, then tightened everything up, works great! Thanks for the quick replies folks!

problem: still have this popping sound coming from the front suspension when hitting bumps, manholes, etc... i think its the top strut bearing?

omg the front end feels so tight and nimble now, lol.

Comment

Yeah, strut bearings. I also recommend you check the top nut (gland nut) on the strut tube. They can be hard to tighten, I generally do it on the car.

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Wouldn't spring compressors have worked to solve your original problem? Are you on stock springs?
            For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
            Originally posted by mbonanni
            I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
              Wouldn't spring compressors have worked to solve your original problem? Are you on stock springs?
              i am on stock springs right now, waiting on vogtland ones to come in the mail!

Comment

Working...
              X