Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6061 Aluminum in use for Brake Brackets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6061 Aluminum in use for Brake Brackets?

Ok I've got some custom Large front brakes ready to go on my car(NO I will not say what they are). Now the Brackets I had to CNC mill and are 6061 aluminum and 9/16" thick. I've been throwing this over in my head if they will be strong enough or not. I know Brembo and the such use Aluminum for there caliper kits. I want to install these Realy soon, so I have proper time to Test them in some empty parking lots and back roads, before I have to drive the car everyday to school in late august. Any ideas, experiences? I was going to have them tested at school on our instron machine to see at what forces they would break but ran out of time in the semester.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Got any pics?

Either way, I would think that 9/16th plate should be strong enough. 6061 is pretty good stuff. 7075 is better, but for that application, 6061 is plenty strong.

Comment

I wanted to get 7075, but I made them at school and our technician, would probally maybe about now of gotten the material in :roll:

Comment

So you want advice on which alloy to use, but don't want to share what your brake kit is composed of?

Comment

Yep, the whole reason being, I'm not the one who figured out the combo of parts that works. And that person had talked about selling plans/parts for the combo. I'll let them put out in public what the combo is first.

Comment

Working...
          X