Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky booster

Hey guys,

I have discovered a bit of a problem with my booster. If i hit the pedal after I turn off the car (building up pressure in the booster), it leaks brake fluid everywhere! Obviously, I have a leaky booster. Is there anyway to fix it without replacing the whole thing (JB weld, etc.) or should I just bite the bullet and get a new booster. If I do that, are all e30 booster's interchangeable? In case it matters, I have an '84 318i.

The only reason I ask about fixing it rather than replacing it is that I blew my diff the other night and need to fix that ($$$).

Does the booster hold fluid?

I assumed that the booster simply acts hydraulically to move the master cylinder. Most leaks of that variety come from bad seals in the MC.

I may be wrong.

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
    And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

I am not sure. I can see exactly where it is leaking from, but i suppose it could be leaking at the seal and dripping down the booster.

Comment

Yes, thats more than likely the problem. You want to replace the master cylinder. I don't know which brake boosters are compatible with our cars(84 318). But I'll do some research.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys

Comment

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showpos...8&postcount=11

That about sums it up.

Comment

Originally posted by zxert View Post

I'm a little late diving in here but here's whats up. You need a MC with 3 ports. Some ABS cars have 3 some have 2. The 3 port MC will have a plug on the bottom port. I just replaced my MC with one out of a 325e thinking the larger piston will give me more braking power. I should note I did a rear disc swap a while back. Anyway, I got no improvement with the larger MC.

Comment

The booster itself has no fluid in it. If you see brake fluid leaking the source will be the master cylinder. And if brake fluid has leaked into the booster both it and the master cylinder will have to be replaced. If you don't replace the booster the brak fluid will destroy the booster pretty quickly.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Beat me to it. Just had to replace a booster and mc in a E65 745 under warranty. I was suprised how easy it was.

Comment

Originally posted by DREWHALL View Post
                  Beat me to it. Just had to replace a booster and mc in a E65 745 under warranty. I was suprised how easy it was.
                  That's good to hear!

Comment

Working...
                  X