help on removing the rear trailing arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help on removing the rear trailing arm

I have the haynes manual but im wondering after I loosen the 6 allen head bolts and pry that off the diff, how the hell do i get the axel out of the wheel hub...can I just hammer it out and it wont damage it?? or is there a more specific technique...also how do i go about removing the rear wheel bearing?

ive been told im not so good at searching and i dont know what im doing wrong but ive been reading for 2hrs and havnt found much except for ppl saying they just burn it out..i dont see how that works so help is greatly appreciated.
    I really dont wanna pay a shop to do my wheel bearing and trailing arm bushings but i might just have to. replacing my rear left trailing arm has turned into a reeeal pain in the ass

oh yea its a 87 325is if that matter :???:
    m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
    build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

use a drift and hit the middle of the axle/halfshaft with a BFH, (assuming you took the retaining ring and nut off first), should pop out without too much effort...

wheel bearing, i used a slide hammer, but i know there is a 'proper' tool out there, $$$ tho
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

aaahhhh.nice
      i think i can find somithing similar at my house. wheel nut is off and new one has arrived.
      i just wasnt sure how hard of banging it involves and how precise the positioning of the banging has to be. as far as I know for the wheel bearing, i shouldnt push the new one in the middle of it. only on the outter ring but the axel/halfshaft i can just go at it as long as im in the middle of it....
      & whats a bfh? i wont harm anything tho if I bash it straight out right?

Comment

use the tool for the bearing if it needs to be replaced. u can mess up the new one if u dont and it could turn out to be a huge pita. harbor freight has the tool. theres a little dimple where u put a point chizel and whack he axle with a hammer. axle should come out easy. there is a write up for doing the rear bearings. search and read it.

Comment

kool thanks tony and jrob!

much appreciated

Comment

yeah if u hit just the axle in the little dimple i wouldnt worry about the bearing....BFH = big fucking hammer.....if harbor freight has the rear bearing tool get that, slide hammer can be destructive (not a big deal for removal if ur replacing it anyways, but id put the new one in with the tool next time)
            1991 318is ---230K - DD
            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Working...
            X