Help with subframe and RTAB install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with subframe and RTAB install

I'm in the middle of installing OEM rubber RTABs and rear subframe bushings.

The shop I bought the parts from looked up the RTABs and it says that an E30 uses 2 normal and 2 eccentric bushings. So that's what I got. Looking at RealOEM, it seems like the eccentric ones are on the outside and the normal ones on the inside. I also looked in the Bentley manual, and it says that the eccentric ones need to be lined up right. Can anyone explain how to line them up please? The manual wasn't really clear. If it makes any difference, the car is lowered on Tokico springs.

As for the subframe bushings, I know that the OEM ones have a gap between the bushings and the subframe on the bottom. I did not however measure this gap before removing mine, since I was planning on installing poly ones but plans changed. Can anyone tell me what this gap is suppose to be or does it not matter? I was thinking about pressing it in until the top of the bushing is flush with the top of the subframe, but wasn't sure.

Thanks for any help!

The stock configuration for the trailing arms doesn't use any eccentric bushings. Eccentric bushings can be used to correct minor damage to the trailing arms. Or in this case excessive camber from the lowering springs. When eccentric bushings are used, they will be needed in both positions on each trailing arm and set for normal toe and camber.

The OE subframe bushings should be installed with no gap between the bushing lip and the bottom of the subframe.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thank you very much. I've installed the normal RTABs as the camber isn't that bad.

Do I need to get it aligned again once I put the rear end back together?

Comment

There are no adjustments for the rear wheels in the OE configuration, so no alignment is needed.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Great. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X