Rear wheel bearing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear wheel bearing help

Well I'm in the process of replacing my rear wheel bearing, and I've gotten everything off as far as I can (wheel, rotor, brake caliper) I'm stuck though, the splined shaft of the half shaft won't budge, I tried whacking it with a 1ft broom handle as suggested in another thread. I don't have air tools, only electricity, if that changes anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I did this job last weekend. Everything went surprisingly well (besides being sent the wrong bearing which was 1mm too small ID and OD).

Don't take offense to this question, I just have to ask. You removed the inboard part of the axle from the differential, right? I can imagine someone overlooking this step if they are not very experienced, not saying you are, just have to check.

I had no problem getting mine out but I was prepared to spray it with some PB Blaster and get real crazy with a mini-sledge in order to get it out, just make sure to put the nut on the threads so you dont bugger them up. Put some wheel bearing grease on them when you are putting it all back together for future ease.

Comment

The part of the half shaft that connects to the differential? Yeah that's disconnected sitting on stacked coffee cans to let it sit horizontally. So I can spray liquid wrench in the exposed shaft in the hub? (where the splines are?) that won't do any damage?

Comment

Normally you would want to be careful to not get penetrating oil/solvents/chemicals on the wheel bearing, but you are replacing the bearing in which case nobody cares about what happens to it. You might want to be cautious enough to not have the penetrating oil blast back in your face, or get on the parking brake shoes, but that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Once you get the drive axle out of the hub I would clean the splines well and re-coat them with grease, or even anti-seize if grease isn't available.

Out of curiosity, what are you using to remove/replace the bearing?

Comment

A diy tool from this guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKYL9_4mXRI Still stumped on how to remove the axle shaft, just wail on it till it comes out?

Comment

the axle shaft. What is the axle shaft. The hub or the outer part of the cv joint? To remove the hub you have to hammer it from the back side. I used a impact socket and impact extension and just hammered on the extension. Chrome sockets are too hard.
            Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

The part of the cv joint that goes into the wheel hub which is splined. Yes, no? Or am I way off?

Comment

No you're right. Just wondering.

I removed it with a air hammer. Another way is a long punch from sears and beat it with a large hammer. Its gotta come out, even if you break it. But an air hammer is the best.

I learned with cars, you have to be brutal when it comes to suspension components. They all seize up.
                Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

I used a lot of PB blaster, the 'grip' wooden side of a rubber mallet and hit the top of the mallet with a hammer, it eventually backed out.

Comment

Will do tomorrow, thanks for the advice!

Comment

Is there any way that the shaft of the cv boot in the rear trailing arm/hub can be seized? Sprayed liquid wrench, wooden handle of a rubber mallet, wailed away with a hammer, not a budge. Anything else before I have to go to a mechanic?

Comment

How big of a hammer are you using? A 2lb hand sledge would be the lightest I'd expect to work. My tool of choice is a 4lb hand sledge.
                        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I just borrowed an 8lb from a neighbor, will give it a whirl later tonight.

Comment

An impact hammer will make short work of the shaft.

If it doesn't come out with a couple of good whacks of a hammer or sledge it won't come out until you find the correct frequency with an impact.

Start with the impact on full blast and slowly back off of the trigger. When it's at the correct frequency, the shaft will slide right out.

Been there done that many times. I don't even think about pounding on it anymore.
                            Last edited by DRTSRFR; 07-27-2011, 12:45 PM.
                            Suspension tips here...
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X