Getting the hub off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the hub off

Is there a way to take the hub off without having to take the halfshaft out and hit it out from the back I'd like to just pull it off but I can't get it to budge.

well the axle has to come out of the hub but you can slide hammer the hub out. Will destroy the bearing.

Comment

By bolting a bridge to the hub it is theoretically possible to get the hub off with a slide hammer without first removing the half shaft. But once the hub is off the outboard end of the half shaft will be loose in the bearing (it mounts to the splines in the hub) and the half shaft will have to be removed to pull the bearing.

Regardless of how you get the hub off, the bearing will be damaged in the process and must be replaced. So there is really no point in trying to get the hub off without first removing the half shaft.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Alright got the half shaft out and I just use a bridge and a slide hammer and it comes right out?

Comment

With the half shaft out you can use a heavy washer (3/8-1/2" thick) and nut or a bridge with the slide hammer to get the hub out. But you will need a very heavy slide hammer. One with an 8-10lb head will work. A larger washer and the slide hammer will get the bearing out.

Comment

Any easy way to loosen the axle nuts after the whole subframe is already off the car? I need to take the axles off to replace them. TIA.

Comment

Originally posted by kikkoman View Post
              Any easy way to loosen the axle nuts after the whole subframe is already off the car? I need to take the axles off to replace them. TIA.
              A heavy duty impact wrench (one rated for 500-600ft-lb) would be my first choice. Lacking that I'd bolt a 1x1/2" steel bar to the hub and use a breaker bar and cheaters.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                A heavy duty impact wrench (one rated for 500-600ft-lb) would be my first choice. Lacking that I'd bolt a 1x1/2" steel bar to the hub and use a breaker bar and cheaters.
                Since the subframe is completely off the car and the axles still attached, it just spins freely. I'm sorry but I can't picture how the steel bar attached to the hub will keep it from rotating so I can have enough torque and leverage to try and free the axle nut inside the hub. Am I missing something very obvious?

Comment

You bolt the bar to the hub via the lug bolts. Loosen the half shaft nut of that side and move the bar to the other side and work on it.

Comment

I will never do a rear wheel bearing job ever again. I been beating on the fucking thing ended up pounding the inner part out now the outer part is stuck. Is it possible to get this out at all? Or am I fucked and have to get a new arm.

Comment

you'll have to get a new arm after beating on it so much, i bet your current one hurts a lot :p

(but seriously, if the outer part is stuck, you've probably angled it a bit and need to straighten it out before it'll come out)
                      cars beep boop

Comment

haha I knew that was coming. I actually got it out heated it up with a torch and used a big hammer and a center punch.

Comment

Working...
                        X