Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on ways to approach a job requested.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on ways to approach a job requested.

In the future I plan to replace the ball joints, control arms, CABs, and the steering rack.

I figure it would be easier to just go ahead and drop the sub-frame to accomplish all of this and re-install it as a unit.

Also figure I might as well do motor mounts while I'm there.

Do I have the right plan of action to make this easier/faster, or should I just approach each component separately on the car?

I have an engine support frame, so supporting the motor wouldn't be a problem. But I will be doing this on jack stands in a driveway.

Its been quite some time since I've really looked under the car, so I feel I may be missing some info critical to the job. Thats why I'm asking the experts.

You don't have to drop the subframe to do this, but that is an acceptable method.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      You don't have to drop the subframe to do this, but that is an acceptable method.
      Yeah. Didn't think I really had to, just thought it might be easier to drop it as a unit, replace all necessary parts, and re-install as a unit.

Comment

You will want an upper engine support bar if you go that route. They can be rented at most autoparts stores.

OTC Tools & Equipment (SPX) 4324 Stinger Engine Support Bar

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
          You will want an upper engine support bar if you go that route. They can be rented at most autoparts stores.

OTC Tools & Equipment (SPX) 4324 Stinger Engine Support Bar
          Already have one. Bought it a year or so ago to assist with clutch jobs on VW's.

Works wonderfully.

Comment

Working...
          X