Handbrake Handle Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handbrake Handle Replacement

I wanted to replace my cracked handbrake handle, as pressing the button usually results in sliding the handle up the lever instead of actually releasing the brake. The old handle was easy enough to get off, but the new one seems like it really doesn't want to go on. It gets stuck about two inches up the handle from where it needs to go. One idea is to lube the thing, but I'm worried I'll have the same problem of the handle sliding around when I try to depress the lever. Is that something I should actually worry about, or should I bust out the WD-40?

Try dish soap?
    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Is it leather or rubber? Either way I'd wrap a 2x4 with a towel and take a hammer to it.
      sigpic

Comment

take a tip from bikers. hair spray is slimy then dries sticky. dish soap will stay slimy.

but before that, figure out WHY it won't go on. is it catching on something? is it a stock new handle?
        Been with me for 16 years...
        sigpic
        Wish i had more time to play with her

Comment

It's the stock plastic handle. It seems that it's only attached by being very very stuck. I've heard that to take it off, you usually have to take a hammer to it (Often destroying it in the process)

Friction seems to be the only thing preventing it from going on. I don't know what it could be catching on.

Comment

Rubber mallet

Comment

Wait til it gets really hot outside and then try taking the handle off. When the interior of my e30 gets really hot the ebrake handle is very easy to take off.

Comment

Take a hairdryer out to the car and heat it up, then slide it down.

Comment

^^^ just replaced one... heat gun helped
                  "i love vee tek, its a wonderful sound when you driving right by it"

If you bought anything from me, please leave a feedback here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ghlight=drulle

Comment

Working...
                  X