replacing ebrake cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing ebrake cable

So i decided to tackle my ebrake....i got everything disassembled, however when I went to remove the old black sleeve the cable sits in, I couldnt take it out so I just cut it with a sawzall... probably a terrible idea looking back on it.

well now the tube that comes from the transmission tunnel obviously isnt big enough to get the new one seated inside properly....should I just drill it with a 7/16" drill bit and put the new one in? any other tips?
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

You need to pull the sleeve from the car. Thread it with a tap and run in a bolt. then use a slide hammer to get the sleeve out.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

ill take a shot at it tomorrow, I got the old plastic covering out, that shields the actually metal cable, but not that sleeve....is drilling it completely out of the question?
      1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
        ill take a shot at it tomorrow, I got the old plastic covering out, that shields the actually metal cable, but not that sleeve....is drilling it completely out of the question?
        it's plastic, so tapping it will be easy. Do as noted above. I had the same problem but I just got a vise grip as high as possible to where it goes in and turned it. Luckily both came out with little to no effort.
        sigpic

Comment

what is plastic? on my new ones, the ebrake cable sits inside a sleeve that is made out of metal, with metal fittings:

1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

Working...
          X