best suspension mod - also the easiest!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best suspension mod - also the easiest!

so, i just replaced my C.A.B (control arm bushings) with the '95 e36 m3 centered control arm bushings - this totally chagned the handling and response of my car.

i have:
    16x8 wheels w 15 offest
    eibach pro kit springs
    e36 control arms
    e90 spring hats
    i have recently replaced ALL bearings and other suspension components which all gave the car a great feel,

but these bushings really put the icing on the cake!! io feel more of the road imperfections, but the car feels like it is on a rail now - goes wherever you put it without asking any questions!

don't order these from the dealer - Lemforder was OE and you can look up the OE reference on RealOEm and i think that pelican has the parts!

just make sure you are getting Lemforder!

i'll give the quick 20 min instructions too:
    cut the rubber out to remove the "lollypop". take to your friendly shop with a hydrolic press and press the new ones in.
    go home and take our your sawzall - cut a line long ways ----- in the control arm bushing. stick a screwdriver in and twist 90 degrees. pull of the rest of the bushing.

put dish detergent on the control arm and on the inside of your new CAB and push the new one on. a hammer may help to get it started. its a tight fit.

bolt on and spray with water. drive a little bit and then let it sit for a day or two if possible so the detergent can dry and become sticky.

including the drive to the shop (in my case it was a local marina with a press in the corner of their shop) - this swap-out took me an hour and 15 min.

you don't even have to take off your wheels.

Why didn't you get the offset M3 ones?

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

already have 15 offset wheels and i REALLY didn't want to do ANOTHER alighment...

also, i like where the tire sits perfectly in the wheel well.

Comment

I have to replace control arms and bushings...

Currently I have the M3 E30 control arms one of them is busted and it will be cheaper to replace both of them for a non E30 M control arm. I do not know what kind of bushings so I’ll be replacing them anyways…

Most likely I’ll be doing the 96+ E36 control arms bushings but I do not know if I should go with the OEM E30 control arms or do I have any other options?

What kind of control arms do you have?

Thanks for the info.
        Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

I saved $50 by going with Meyle instead of Lemforder. I usually go for Lemforder though.

Comment

Optimal is the brand - e36 control arms - with these, you have replaceable ball joint!!! you can replace the ball joint without even takign the control arm off of the car - and ball joints by themselves are cheap!

they mount up perfect and alight perfect. i've been running them for over a year now.

as for rubber parts, lemforder is OE to the m3 application - anything else would be a copy of the design, not the initial design.
            if you want to go with the stock bushing set-up, i would suggest to try the e36 cabrio optimal brand CAB's. theya re the strongest stock (non m) version

if you're replacing everything and getting an alignment, i also would do the inner and outter tie rod ends at the same time. all of this as new, the car feels brandy new!

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzysux View Post
              Optimal is the brand - e36 control arms - with these, you have replaceable ball joint!!! you can replace the ball joint without even takign the control arm off of the car - and ball joints by themselves are cheap!

they mount up perfect and alight perfect. i've been running them for over a year now.

as for rubber parts, lemforder is OE to the m3 application - anything else would be a copy of the design, not the initial design.
              if you want to go with the stock bushing set-up, i would suggest to try the e36 cabrio optimal brand CAB's. theya re the strongest stock (non m) version

if you're replacing everything and getting an alignment, i also would do the inner and outter tie rod ends at the same time. all of this as new, the car feels brandy new!

good to know! which control arms though...the 96-99 m3 ones have slightly different geometry...
              IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

regular old e36 control arms

Comment

OP, would u mind posting a picture of the front wheel height? just wanting to see what the eibach looks with the e90 hats... thanks
                  sigpic

Comment

so:

e36 control arms no matter the year? non -M

e36 cabrio CAB's different than sedan or coupe?

thanks for the info!

Comment

i've got a vert, so it's going to be different, but i'll take a pic in the next day or two once everything comes back down. i had to replace a fender and i did the CAB's, so the wheels were sitting unsprung for about a week while i tracked down all of my parts.

e90 hats were super cheap, i like the difference in the feel - thicker aluminum vs. thin stamped steel.
                      it gave the car a slight forward rake - which i was looking for.
                      if you want a more dramatic effect perhaps try NOT installing one or both of the spring pads. i may take one out since i want the front a little closer... i am not looking forward to fighting with my struts again for a little while.. so i doubt it will be any time in the next month or so.. lol

Comment

i just picked a year, say 97 e36 and ran a sedan in realoem. then take the OE number and put it in to get all of the cars that it fits. i'm pretty sure that they were all the same.

Comment

Ok I went to IE website, I'll be placing an order next week:

Control Arm - E36 Front

E36lfcontrolarm E36 Front Control Arm - $127.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Control Arm Bush - E36 M3

e36frtbush1 Front Control Arm Bushings - M3 type $59.00

Comment

dont use dish soap, use silicone, it will keep the rubber from deteriorating.

other than that, i think i will do this, didn't know e36 control arms could be used.

Comment

bma has them for 105 for lem and 80 for meyle hd with r3v discount
                              Originally posted by bmwm42
                              PNW vulture pm me for parts
                              Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Working...
                              X