Rear axle stuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear axle stuck?

Ok, I'm in a bit of a mess here. I have an early 318i, rear disc brake conversion, LSD, the whole lot. I recently got a set of ABS rear axles, and not only am I having difficulty getting them in, but now the ABS gear is stuck against the trailing arm housing and the axle and hub won't spin. Trailing arms I am quite sure are from an ABS car as well. My non ABS axles fit in the housings fine, but also were a PITA to install. I cleaned the splines and used some trans grease and they still took quite a beating to get in. I did notice on my non ABS axles, there were dust rings that the ABS didn't have. Do these also act possibly as a spacer? I checked for pn's but found nothing.

Also if anyone has the actual pn for a 188 rear end dog ear plate let me know. :)
    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Bumpski.
    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

The ABS ring binding on the housing makes me suspect that you don't have ABS trailing arms. Is the ABS sensor hole present in the hub of the trailing arm?
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

My car is stuck at the shop at the moment (work at a dealership) but I will check on that. Worse case scenario, if I don't have ABS arms then I could machine the gears down correct?

Comment

I don't know if there are any other differences in the ABS & non-ABS half shafts. So I can't say whether just maching off the sector wheels would work. If it were me, I'd get the correct half shafts.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I believe the selector wheel is pressed on. You should be able to press it off.

Comment

The ABS ring I found out is separate. The axles should work now. I am using 6cyl axles for the uprated durability.

Comment

Working...
              X