Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Bearing needs replacement

Hi,

Here's the tired old subject of the rear bearings and hub.

I replaced the front hubs myself, but I've been told that the rear is much more of a PITA than it's worth. Should I just take it to a shop? Should I ask them to replace the whole trailing arm or is that not necessary?

How long would the job take and how much should I expect it to be?

Honestly, if it's something that's feasible, please share. I know a lot of people here have done it, but all the tools I have are a few socket wrenches, and I work during the day so I don't have much time to work on it. Plus...I don't have a garage :T

Thanks in advance for the help
    1985 325e
    mods:
    Powerflex CABs
    MOMO Corse Exhaust
    euro bumpers with BBS front spoiler
    e36 m3 shifter
    uuc clutch stop

It's pretty easy with the proper tools. Review the above and find out if you can rent the wheel bearing pulling tool. I bought the cheap HF one and it's done 6 bearings without busting on me. I also altered it recently to pull a subframe bushing, and it held up. :)

You'll pay less for the tool than you would to go to a shop...

Comment

^^^Agree 100%. I always read that it was a pita to change but I took my car to a buddies of mine that had all the correct tools and I and it done in about 2-3 hours. It would be a stiff bill for a $30 part.

COTM

Comment

get your hands dirty! hehe. proper tools and having everything ready makes the job wayy easier.

Comment

I hope this isn't too much of a beating, but do you guys mind spelling out what I'll need exactly in terms of tools and parts?

Is there something else I should replace while I'm down there? like shocks and springs? other suspension parts? rotors?
          1985 325e
          mods:
          Powerflex CABs
          MOMO Corse Exhaust
          euro bumpers with BBS front spoiler
          e36 m3 shifter
          uuc clutch stop

Comment

Replace the emergency brake shoes while you are in there. Search around for ideas on how to make your own wheel bearing removal/install tool with a threaded rod.

Comment

Working...
            X