No announcement yet.

Ball joint nut won't tighten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't get the thread file to work no matter how much I filed it. Next, I thought about using a die but couldn't figure out the exact size to use (I'm thinking 18x1.5) and didn't want to wait to have it shipped so since I also didn't have a cutter I decide to try using a grinder. I grinded just a small fraction on top and it was enough to just get the nut started enough to catch the thread. After days of frustration, the ordeal was over and problem solved! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
      I say just cut it off. unless it way to short.
      Hate to say I told ya so................

Jus sayin:hitler:
      sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
      The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Yes, I know lol. It would have saved me at least a week waiting for the thread filer to arrive but at least I've got an extra cool tool in the box :)

Comment

I had the same thing happen to the lower ball joint, just get a small jewelers file, and try to clean up the threads. Go slow, and clean the valley's between the threads out. You are just trying to establish enough good thread for the nut to continue past with out upsetting the thread on direction (which is what can cause cross threading..)
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Working...
          X