Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to check what wheel bearing is gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to check what wheel bearing is gone?

Hope I posted in the right section.
    Its been a while now that my car has been making this helicopter noise while I'm driving. It has been bugging me for ages. My first guess was the diff which I replaced first and its still making that noise. My next guess is wheel bearings. A couple of the guys I've driven also think its wheel bearings. Now my trouble is I don't know which wheel has the worn bearing, my hearing isn't too good to tell.
    Is there ways to test which wheel has a worn bearing?

Drive for a bit, then brake very slowly in order not warm up the brakes if possible, and you should feel than one of the wheels hub centre is warmer than others.

Alternative - jack up wheels one by one, turn them by hand and see if one of them makes weird noises.

Comment

Get the car in the air. Grab the tires at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and pull-push it around feeling for movement or play. Use your body weight.

A failed bearing can also make a crunchy or grinding sound when you spin the tire.

d.hitchcock
      STX e30
      No. 10/110 STX: 1989 325i
      DD: 1991 318is slicktop

SHAZAM, GOMER, LOOK AHEAD.

Comment

Thanks Doug. My mate just told me the same thing right after posting this thread i'll give it a shot tommorow morning while I'm at it I'll get my discs machined with some new pads. They need doing as well

Comment

I just had to replace a wheel bearing. It's easy to tell which one it is. All you have to do is drive atleast 20mph or greater and turn. If you turn to the right and it makes noise, it's a left wheel bearing. If you turn to the left and it makes noise, it's a right wheel bearing. The weight strain makes the wheel bearing whine. Should be pretty easy to distinguish if the noise is coming from the front or rear of the car. Mine was the front left wheel bearing; it made noise during the faintest lane changes.

Comment

This is correct for front bearings.

Rears just hum away regardless and the sound doesn't change that much while turning.
            STX e30

Comment

That's what mine does it just doesn't shut up. Constantly humming along while I'm driving.
              Sounds like its my rears then.

Comment

Good luck. Replacing them sucks.
                STX e30

Comment

If you're going to do one rear bearing, Do both at the same time.

Contrary to population belief, its really not that hard. I did a write up wirh pictures like 4 years ago.

Taylor
                  Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                  Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

I won't be doing it myself. I haven't got enough time. There is a mechanic across the road to where I work. Who I'm sure will be happy to do me a favour since I'm building his Honda f20c motor built to put down around 550whp.

Comment

Working...
                    X