I just searched the site for a solution to popping noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just searched the site for a solution to popping noises

The car has 213k proud miles, and while I don't think any of the bushings are original, the CABs show signs of age. I recently replaced rear subframe bushings, front shocks, control arms, all that clunking stuff. the only thing left are the cabs, which I think are the cause of the popping sound I get occasionally when making a right turn. I have new bushings in the garage, but no hydraulic press to put them inside the brackets.

Anyway, are there any other places I should check?

Originally posted by emi
    The car has 213k proud miles, and while I don't think any of the bushings are original, the CABs show signs of age. I recently replaced rear subframe bushings, front shocks, control arms, all that clunking stuff. the only thing left are the cabs, which I think are the cause of the popping sound I get occasionally when making a right turn. I have new bushings in the garage, but no hydraulic press to put them inside the brackets.

Anyway, are there any other places I should check?
    You reused the old bushings on new control arms? Thats a no-no. Once the cherry is poppped on those things they are done. They won't hold the arm tightly enough after that.
    Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

i'm replacing mine with treehouse racing's eyeball arms....just waiting for him to respond to my e-mail for the price...

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS
        You reused the old bushings on new control arms? Thats a no-no. Once the cherry is poppped on those things they are done. They won't hold the arm tightly enough after that.
        That's pretty much all you need to know right there.

Comment

Originally posted by uflnuceng
          That's pretty much all you need to know right there.

I figured that's not a good idea. I had a friend press in new bushings in the brackets, and I put them in, but I'm still getting the popping sound.

It sounds like it's coming from front-left, but I'm not discounting the rear suspension. I found that all bolts were loose on one of the axles. Also the differential mounting bushing is shot. I have a new bushing shipped as we speak. The rear subframe bushings have been replaced, but not the trailing arm bushings. I hear those aren't an easy job.

The previous owner swapped the motor and did a whole bunch of work on the car before I got it. Among one of the things he messed up was a broken front subframe bolt. Instead of drilling it out and replacing it, he welded the subframe to the chasis. The weld is still solid, but I wonder if it could cause problems.

Comment

Working...
          X