inner tie rod, question on noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inner tie rod, question on noise

So when turning the wheel i get a weird noise inside the cabin. sounds like a pulling squeak. it's coming from the front wheels. i'm thinking i need new tie rods. raised the car up and the passenger wheel was a little lose, so i'm hoping it's that. any thoughts and what's the best/cheapest inner tie rod you would recommend?

You might need new tie rods, but I doubt that the inner tie rods are the cause of the noise. That could be from tie rod or control arm ball joints, upper strut bearings, or the steering column. Motion of a wheel along the horizontal axis indicates worn tie rods. Motion along the vertical axis will be wheel bearings or control arms (usually wheel bearings).

Lemforder is the OE vendor and are the ones to get. Best to replace the entire tie rod assembly unless the outer tie rods are new. Remember to also get new boots, clamps, and lock plates.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

if i bought the tie rod from bavauto part numed 32 11 1 125 186 is that what i need? they also have new boots.
      sorry new to all of this.

Comment

That is the right part. You will also need the boot (32111127104), clamps (32131094100), and lock plate (32111124540). It is best to replace the tie rods on both sides at the same time as they wear at the same rate.

I use rmeuropean.com frequently for parts.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          That is the right part. You will also need the boot (32111127104), clamps (32131094100), and lock plate (32111124540). It is best to replace the tie rods on both sides at the same time as they wear at the same rate.

I use rmeuropean.com frequently for parts.
          thanks so much, will be ordering

for the clamps it said they are not designed to fit a 325i?
          Last edited by simplyclean325i; 01-20-2012, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Who said that? I pulled those part numbers off realoem.com for an 88 325is. Unless I botched something they should be correct.

Comment

Use zipties for the clamps

Comment

you can buy the clamp from http://www.pelicanparts.com/ if you're anal about things.

Comment

Working...
                X