rear subframe issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear subframe issues

I just tore apart my subframe to replace the bushings and trailing arm bishings because they were shot....got everything put back together and am in the process of bolting it back to the car. On driver side stud for the subframe apprently the top portion of metal on the old bushing broke of in the slot. tried a hammer and chisel and a dremel to no avail.....any one else had this issue?? Another idea I had to fix this was to hammer the stud out...and attempt to get it out from the top.

heres some pics of what im talkin bout

Click image for larger version

Name:	20120811_173941.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	7228241

Click image for larger version

Name:	20120811_173954.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	7228242
    '89 325i 5-speed, 2 door, lowered.....many mods soon to come

Yup. That sometimes happen and it will NOT be impossible to fix it. First you'll need to remove the long pin from the top. Do not hammer it now. Put the big nut back and hit the nut. The reason for putting the nut back is that you don't want to mash the threads.

When the pin is removed, you will end up with perhaps 3/4" of the aluminum tube stuck there. You'll want to thread the inner bore and fit a stud long enough so that you can use the exposed thread as a puller. I think you se me coming now. You now can to pull the broken bit...

One other way is to drill it out with a mofo 24mm bit...
    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

I was a little worried about hammering out that stud but it came out fine thanks.....now I m working on getting the sleeve out now
      '89 325i 5-speed, 2 door, lowered.....many mods soon to come

Comment

Originally posted by caveman85 View Post
        I was a little worried about hammering out that stud but it came out fine thanks.....now I m working on getting the sleeve out now
        You can try a bigass lag bolt too if threading it doesn't work. I had this happen and ended up having to break it up into chunks to get it out, it's a pain in the ass but not the end of the world.

Comment

Working...
        X