Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to tell if I have girling or ATE calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tell if I have girling or ATE calipers?

I'm going to order the rebuild kits, and I'm too lazy to go outside and take my wheels off and check in the 102 degree heat.

1990 325i, no sure on build date. Any easy way to know what came on my car without pulling wheels off?
    sigpic
    Parts Wanted
    The Never-ending Resto Mod

You will have to look at the front calipers as they could be either, depending on where the car was built. The rears are always ATE.

You don't have to remove a wheel to check the calipers. Turn the wheels to full lock and look at the caliper from the rear of the wheel. ATE calipers will have guide bolts hidden by dust caps. Girling calipers have exposed guide bolts. Check both front calipers. It isn't unknown to find a Girling on one side and an ATE on the other.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      You will have to look at the front calipers as they could be either, depending on where the car was built. The rears are always ATE.

You don't have to remove a wheel to check the calipers. Turn the wheels to full lock and look at the caliper from the rear of the wheel. ATE calipers will have guide bolts hidden by dust caps. Girling calipers have exposed guide bolts. Check both front calipers. It isn't unknown to find a Girling on one side and an ATE on the other.

Thank you sir!
      sigpic
      Parts Wanted

Comment

Also all the girling calipers have the name stamped in them.
        They most often came on "is" cars.
        sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
        The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Checked both methods last night. I was just able to see the "lucas Girling" lettering through the slats in my bottle caps.

Got an entire brake system refresh ordered and on its way!
          sigpic
          Parts Wanted

Comment

Working...
          X