Rotors stuck to parking brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotors stuck to parking brake

I need to take off my rear rotor and the parking brake line was cut, the inner shoes for the parking brake are caught against the rotor so I cannot pull the rotor off.
    Retaining screw for the rotor is off.
    Tried taking it off with a two jaw puller and it wouldnt pull it.
    Any advice would be great.

Cable snapping shouldn't spread the shoes out. Sounds like its just frozen to the hubs. If you can't get it off you may need to just knock out the hub and replace both. You will also have to replace the wheel bearing if you do that.
    sigpic

Comment

I can't take the hub out though, I cannot move the rotor and the parking brake is attached to the trailing arm. Unless I am missing something here

Comment

The first thing to try is to back off the star adjuster.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Yeah that was my next thought. I will have to see if I can rotate the rotor to line it up.

Comment

If the emergency breaks have enough tension on them against the inside of the rotors, the star adjuster sometimes won't even turn. If that is the case I would whack along the backside of the rotor with a rubber mallet until the rotor starts to move forward a little bit. It still probably won't come off at that point, but then you can take a pry bar along the inner circle of the rotor to gradually pry it off. If this works, just make sure you properly adjust your emergency brake before reattaching the rotors, or you will be in for the same problem.

You also might be able to rotate out the retaining pins for the emergency brake on the back of the dust shield. It might work, or it might be a pain in the ass.

Comment

Got it off, just resorted to a BFH.... Worked though!

Comment

Originally posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
                Got it off, just resorted to a BFH.... Worked though!
                Works everytime!
                sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Why would the e-brake shoes get stuck to the rotor? Strange... My only thought would be because the cable is getting caught up on something.
                  My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Working...
                  X