Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still Clunking in the Trunk after new Bush??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still Clunking in the Trunk after new Bush??

I have been trying to remedy a was moderate to severe clunk now mild clunk coming from the rear end. Most apparent shifting from 1-2 and a lil from 2-3.
    I had a buddy help install a new Guibo an I had a new CSB, but he told me mine looked fine so we didn't bother. That did help overall but not the clunk so I install new poly subframe bushings.
    Im not very skilled and kinda lazy so I was not able to drop the whole rear and do the RTAB's. I also have not read anywhere that worn RTAB's would cause that sort of clunk. I also got a new poly diff mount w fresh fluid.
    Im sure I need new shifter bushings, but Im asking if the clunk is more likely to come from CSB or RTAB's.
    Sure I know I should do both and would like to, but again not very skillful and would have to pay for help with either?

Thanks
    I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

A clunk when torque on the drive train changes will be from fore/aft movement of the rear suspension, or from worn parts in the drive train. Since you have changed the subframe bushings and since worn tailing arm bushings seldom cause this, The other possibilities for movement could be bad motor, transmission. or differential bushings. If those are good, play in the drive shaft u-joints, differential, or half shaft CV joints are possibilities. With the car on a lift and being "driven" you should be able to find the cause.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks jlevie! Im waiting on you to release you book on E30's so I wont have to post these questions anymore. You have answered many for me so far.

Follow up question: would there be any issue going with OEM motor/ trans mounts given the rear end is mostly poly?
      I went poly in the rear simply for ease of installation, not "because race car."
      Thanks
      I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Comment

There would be no problem in using OE motor, transmission, & differential bushings with poly subframe bushings.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
        X