Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control Arm help!

Hey R3V.

I'm having a problem with getting the control arm loose from the strut housing. I'm trying to install ground control coilover sleeves and I need to get the strut housing out. I have everything disconnected from the strut housing except for the control arm. I was wondering if you guys had any tips or ideas on how to get it off. I've tried soaking it in WD-40 and then hammering the control arm with a rubber mallet but it won't work. I got the tie rod off fairly easily, but the one on the other side won't budge. I also tried the WD-40 and hammering combo and that won't budge.

I've heard that a pickle fork helps, but I don't know where to find one.

I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong. I have some pictures to show you my progress on the driver's side.

Also, I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, but I wanted as many people to see this so I can get the damn thing off. Feel free to move this, mods.

The sway bar drop link disconnected.

View of the whole wheel well.

A closer picture.
    -1987 325is coupe(SOLD)
    -1990 325i sedan

Get a BFH and hit the side of the strut housing where the ball joint goes through. Never fails for me.

Don't use a pickle fork... it'll mess the boot up and just not work anyway.
    sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
    Build Thread:
    Current ongoing build. Check it out!
    1991 318is 4dr rallycross
    Rallycross Build Thread.
    1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

Wait. A RUBBER mallet? Not sure if serious. Get a nice sledge hammer, a 5 pounder or so, thread the nut back on so you don't mash the top of the threads, and smack it a few times.

Comment

That ball joint boot looks ripped/torn, so it will probably go bad soon. You should replace them.

I had a very hard time taking them off (just did it over the weekend), and what made it easier was to unbolt the whole control ARM and use a metal sledge hammer and pound the control ARM itself. Or try putting the nut in and pounding that, only if you have new ones.

Also get some pb blaster, I think that's the name, and let it soak. That will help more than wd-40.

WD-40 is not much of a penetrating lubricant, in fact it stands for water displacement, and 40 is the 40th batch. So from what I read. Never trust the internet though...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Justin B View Post
          Wait. A RUBBER mallet? Not sure if serious. Get a nice sledge hammer, a 5 pounder or so, thread the nut back on so you don't mash the top of the threads, and smack it a few times.
          This.

Step 1. Put the rubber mallet back in the work bench
          Step 2. Get the biggest hammer you have
          Step 3. Smack the shit out of the side of your strut housing (do not hit the threads of the control arm obviously)
          Step 4. Continue your install
          -Nick
          Originally posted by 87e30
          First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

why not drop the strut housing w the ca still attached?

Comment

Ball joint puller or pickle fork yes.
              OR
              Thread on nut a lil and hit with big hammer....
              Looks like you are in over your head if this is pwn'n you....
              Well ya gotta learn if you wanna DYI
              Dont do your own brakes LOL
              sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
              The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

I've never had a ball joint puller work on a really stuck joint, it always required a pickle fork. If you want to keep the control arms you have now, grease the boot up really well and use a pickle fork. You can rent them from parts stores. When you put them back in, lather up the ball joint and hole with anti sieze and they will be much easier to separate later.

Comment

That ball joint boot looks bad to me....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Justin B View Post
                    I didn't want to damage anything haha.
                    -1987 325is coupe(SOLD)
                    -1990 325i sedan

Comment

I used a pickle fork on mine. It was really stuck, so even with a pickle force I had to use an insane amount of force. Rented from autozone.

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                      My expectation is an immediate 5 speed swap. Autos suck more than a 50 year old whore.

Comment

you need one of these

i was in the same situation as you. the pickle fork did not work and ripped the boot to shreds.

this tool can be found at harbor freight for cheap and is honestly my favorite tool i own.

Comment

i used a pickle fork on mine, but it did ruin the ball joint boot. If you use a pickle fork, stab it in there, and hit the end of it with a hammer and it will start pushing in. 4 or 5 whacks and it should be free! :D
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by peytonracer4 View Post
                            you need one of these

i was in the same situation as you. the pickle fork did not work and ripped the boot to shreds.

this tool can be found at harbor freight for cheap and is honestly my favorite tool i own.
                            This. Never ever ever ever waste your time with a pickle fork. This tool makes ball joints a 1 minute job

-NICK

Comment

How old are the arms? Might be a good time to get new ones. In which case some heat and a good blow will take care of things.
                              -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Working...
                              X