ABS light comes on after a while in wet only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS light comes on after a while in wet only

What could be causing this? I went through my abs system on my IX pretty thoroughly and got the system to where it works great.
    Except in snowy conditions. I have a 26 mile commute, and over the last couple of months, I have noticed that on snowy days, the ABS light will come on when I am nearing the office. It works great the whole ride in, but for some reason, the light has been coming on after 20+ miles. I have noticed it in just wet weather, but more often and consistently when the roads are snowy and slushy. I am thinking that it must be dirt and grime getting into the abs rings as a result of snow.
    Otherwise in the dry, it works great, and most of the way in it works great. This has me scratching my head.
    What are your thoughts?

My suspicion, since snowy or wet conditions cause the warning, would be moisture affected one or more wheel sped sensors. Probably failing insulation on the sensor wires.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

That could be. I'm redoing the brakes on the car this weekend hopefully, so I will check insulation carefully. I would think though that that would be the case after 1 mile in the snow, not the whole way down the canyon, and then finally coming on. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftin View Post
        That could be. I'm redoing the brakes on the car this weekend hopefully, so I will check insulation carefully. I would think though that that would be the case after 1 mile in the snow, not the whole way down the canyon, and then finally coming on. Weird.
        Depending on the size of the abrasion/cut/break in the insulation and its location, it might take a while for a sufficient amount of moisture to get in there.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
        X