Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Track/Race Brake Set-up

Hi,
    After a long wait rebuilding the motor, I had an awesome time at Sebring this weekend in my J-Stock E30 with fresh rebuild, mark d, injectors, headers not cats ect. I was running Hoosier R6 so as you can imagine I was having lots of fun.

I'd say the only weak spot was the brakes, even with drilled rotors, blue fluid, ss lines and Hawk HPS there was no bite whatsoever. It does stop but the brakes have no feel at all. They faded quickly and were quite scary at some points. I'd say it definitely got me past my limits in terms of speeds carried so in a way its a good thing.

Bear in mind I'm comparing them to my other track car with much bigger brakes using Pagid blacks, but I'm wondering if this is a common opinion among other e30 owners or is there something specific to my set up.

My plan now is to add a brake duct kit and switch to whatever Pagid pads will work with my car.

My immediate goal is to not have to do a full brake, wheel ect conversion.

What's the ideal brake set up using the stock set up?

Your major issue is the hps pads. Fine on the street with street tires.... Not a track pad.

I'm running hawk dtc pads and love em.

I think right now you need to switch pads and get some ducts then go from there. You should be fine for now with the stock setup.

Also ditch the drilled rotors they do nothing for you. Cheap blanks are all you need.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

+1 on those pads not being up to track duty. Replace them with Hawk HT-10 pads, or better yet PFC 01/08 pads and you will be a lot happier. And give the cross drilled rotors to someone that is more interested in bling than performance. Plain rotors are as good as it gets. Cross drilled rotors reduce swept area and thermal mass and are an invitation to cracks. Think of the holes as initial cracks of large radius.

Front brake ducts are a really good idea.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by QWKE30 View Post
        Hi,
        I'd say the only weak spot was the brakes, even with drilled rotors, blue fluid, ss lines and Hawk HPS there was no bite whatsoever.
        So, I'm not going to disagree with the fine gentlemen that have already replied, since they know their collective shit. However, what's your definition of "no bite", and how heavy is your car?

I run the same pads with basically the same setup but with stock blanks and a 2800lbs car and I have absolutely zero problem locking up all four StarSpecs.

At any point on the track are you able to get them to bite? Because if it's not just brake fade but a complete lack of bite ever while on track I'd say there is something else up with your brakes. Better pads might help cover it, but you should get some bite out of HPS for at least part of your track time.
        -------------------------------------------------
        1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
        2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

I ran the pads with my street tires. Locked up without issue.

Changed the car to a track setup not a dd and a set of toyo r1r's and could not overcome the grip and lock them up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

PFC pads are the shizzle.

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

I cannot lock them up. Truth is I hate the way they feel. I've had them checked by a good shop who said they are fine and even bled them before and during the event.

The car is pretty light, stripped, no ac, no heater, no spare ;)
              Just the seats, the bar & me.

Comment

My other car is a 944 Turbo S with big 928 S4 brakes, Pagid Blacks with a duct kit.

I did have slotted rotors on the Porsche but went back to solid and they've been great.

That car BITES.

Comment

Pads are definitely being overworked and producing pad fade. Switch to a higher performance pad and you will see a significant performance increase in the stopping power of the car.

While there is no doubt that pagid pads are awesome, I would go with Performance Friction or Porterfield. They are more readily available and half the price of the Pagids. Personally I have only run Porterfields, however I will be switching to Performance Friction or a new brake pad producer.

Comment

I run PFC-06s on my track/autocross car with front cooling ducts. I have never experienced fade and I'm impressed with how much bite they have when cold considering that they are track pads. They are also lasting a long time.
                    sigpic'87 325is, S50, Lightened Flywheel, Ground Control suspension, Strut Tower Braces, Roll Bar, Five point Harness, lots of little go fast things.

Comment

Working...
                    X