IE RTAB press in by hand=bullshii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE RTAB press in by hand=bullshii

So I easily burned/ pressed out old bushings.
    But, then I spent 6 hours trying everything, C clamp, threaded rod, 3 jaw, etc and cant get the new poly new.

Did I miss something, insert the 2 ends then thread the middle? Other wise I have half of 1 in, and Im trying the threaded rod trick but the other half starts to warp and not press in clean.
    I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Are they lubed up with silicone bushing lube? Also make sure that hole is really clean. Get a wire brush in there and maybe some sandpaper. Push and twist at the same time.
    I am not sure what you mean by "thread the middle." The metal bushing that goes through both poly bushings should be lubed up and pressed in. You can also lube the inside of the hole with a bit of laundry detergent.
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

I just installed the IE trailing arm bushing you need to press the bushing in with the AKG tool first WITHOUT the metal sleeve then push the sleeve in after the bushing is in. first one took me a while to figure out but the other 3 only took 20minutes.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
        I just installed the IE trailing arm bushing you need to press the bushing in with the AKG tool first WITHOUT the metal sleeve then push the sleeve in after the bushing is in. first one took me a while to figure out but the other 3 only took 20minutes.
        Thanks, that was my next thought this morning. I was using lots of grease already, maybe need to double check that its all clean inside.

Comment

Thanks guy, bushings installed now stupid things wont line up.

Comment

it took me forever to get the arms to line up. grease the outside of the bushings that meet the trailing arm mount, and get a hammer to line things up. Are you doing this on the car?

7speedshop.com

Comment

Thanks everyone after finding a few other threads where people were having a bitch realigning the ta's I found the motivation to bust through the bullshii that is ie rtab's.

Comment

Wait a sec..... This has got to be one of the most common sense jobs to do on these cars. I did my IE rear trailing arm bushings in 20 min. with the subframe out. I don't understand how it's the bushing's fault and not yours.

I used a C-clamp, and put the sleeve in last, easy schmeasy.

Lining up arms are a pain in the butt though.
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Ok, maybe I should edit topic once I realized I need to insert the bushing first, then press in the tube after. It was pretty easy.
                  It was more than a pain in the butt to get them back in line and bolted up though.

Comment

I had to shave down the sides of the bushings a tiny bit to get them to fit back in the subframe.

Take out the metal sleeve, hammer one side in at a time (with lube) and then hammer the metal sleeve in.
                    1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                    1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                    1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

I got everything put together this past weekend.
                      The BIG issue was I was trying to Press in 1/2 the bushing in on one side then the other 1/2 on the other end.
                      Once You guys told me to press in the bushings First, then insert the metal sleeve everything went smoothly.
                      Get everything lined back up afterward still felt like the 1st night in prison, but after enough pounding/ pulling/ pushing/ and cursing I got them lined up.

Comment

Working...
                      X