new wheels, which brake pads have minimum brake dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new wheels, which brake pads have minimum brake dust

hey so i just got some white esm wheels for my 318is. i was curious which brake pads give off the least amount of brake dust... what do you guys think? i heard hawk pads are good but thats all i have heard and i know theres gotta be others

Akebono ceramics are pretty dust free but depends on your braking needs
    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

just for daily driving. no track use really

Comment

anything ceramic.

honelsty, advance auto wearever golds are pretty damn good ceramic pads. about $30-ish an axle, low dust, and they do hold up to some track beating if needed...
        1988 325 "super ETA" - Hilde - M52B28 swapped...
        1969 2002 - Griselda - 20VT AWP swap and full resto in progress...

sigpic

project blog - http://www.cynicalmotorsport.blogspot.com/

Comment

Understand that a low dust pad will decrease brake performance and they are really easy to overheat, even in ordinary street driving. Overheated pads will result in uneven deposits on the rotors if the car is brought to a stop before the pads have cooled down. Making you think that the rotors are warped (they aren't). They can also be (and frequently are) a bit noisy.

My personal opinion is that I want pads that will stop the car like "yesterday". If that means dust like a WWW II destroyer laying a smoke screen, so be it. Wheels are easy to clean, body damage isn't so easy to repair (there are lots of idiots out there).

That said, most HPS type pads are an upgrade over OE pads and make less dust. Kind of the best of both worlds. Hawk HPS and StopTech Street Performance pads come to mind. I'd pick PFC pads, but they aren't available in a E30 fitment.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
            Understand that a low dust pad will decrease brake performance and they are really easy to overheat, even in ordinary street driving. Overheated pads will result in uneven deposits on the rotors if the car is brought to a stop before the pads have cooled down. Making you think that the rotors are warped (they aren't). They can also be (and frequently are) a bit noisy.

My personal opinion is that I want pads that will stop the car like "yesterday". If that means dust like a WWW II destroyer laying a smoke screen, so be it. Wheels are easy to clean, body damage isn't so easy to repair (there are lots of idiots out there).

That said, most HPS type pads are an upgrade over OE pads and make less dust. Kind of the best of both worlds. Hawk HPS and StopTech Street Performance pads come to mind. I'd pick PFC pads, but they aren't available in a E30 fitment.

I agree with this. When I was looking at brake system stuff for future reference, I began looking at ceramic pads and ended up with the StopTech Street Performance as my favorites. It isn't worth sacrificing braking power just so you can wait longer to clean your wheels. The likely extra noise of ceramic pads sounded like a huge annoyance as well.
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
            X