Bleeding brakes from empty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleeding brakes from empty

I replaced all of my brake lines and it's time to refill the system. I want to gravity bleed but I'm getting no fluid to the rear caliper. The fronts have fluid. I've bled the master cylinder and the line at the ABS pump but I have nothing at the rear calipers after hours of pumping at the pedal.

Any advise.

BTW, I did buy a POS vacuum bleeder but I can't get a good seal to the bleeder screws so it's useless.

A pressure bleeder is the only sane way to do this.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I had a real tough time with mine. As a last ditch effort, I let them gravity bleed overnight, one side at a time. Fill the reservoir to the top and go get some sleep.

You can rig a pressure bleeder with some vinyl hose, a brass fitting and a cap. Just adjust the air pressure regulator on your compressor down to 10-15 lbs.

Also took out the rear bias restrictor and cleaned it out. Had a bunch of goop in there.

BTW, jlevie is all-knowing, he helped me with some advice on the topic as well.
      1990 325is - sterling silver, very nice, maybe for sale

Comment

I don't have access to compressed air so a pressure bleeder is out of the question.

Did either of you bench bleed the master cylinder? I just blend the master by loosening the two fittings and bleeding some fluid into a wrag. Bench bleeding would be a giant PITA for me because I have a remote resevior to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          A pressure bleeder is the only sane way to do this.
          This is true.

Originally posted by _JohnnyD_ View Post
          I don't have access to compressed air so a pressure bleeder is out of the question.

This is not true.

Order one of these, you will thank me later.

Keep Your Fluids at Peak Performance. Get professional results with the our one-man bleeder and fillers.
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I didn't bench bleed the master, but it always had fluid in it even though the rubber grommets that connect the reservoir were replaced.
            1990 325is - sterling silver, very nice, maybe for sale

Comment

you can try at any unions you have. follow the lines that wont bleed back to where you can break them open, and try to bleed there. just to get the fluid flowing.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
              Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Well I have a bit of an update.

I returned my vacuum bleeder and bought all of the parts to make my own "power bleeder". That didn't work either.

In frustration I bled every rear brake connection up to the RH rear caliper and there was fluid in all of them, but I am still not getting fluid out of the caliper bleeder screw. I rebuilt the rear calipers myself so maybe I screwed something up. Interestingly I could also not get any fluild to come out of the flex line to rear caliper joint. I only cracked it loose but nothing came out. The flex lines are brand new from UCC.

After the Super Bowl I'll pull the rear calipers apart and see what is going on.

Comment

If I read this right you have established that the rear brakes won't bleed from the bleed screws, the caliper soft lines connections at the calipers. That could mean an obstruction anywhere from there to the master cylinder.

The next check should be at the point where the line to the rear of the car enters the bias valve. If no flow there, work back towards the master cylinder. But is there is flow, work towards the rear calipers.

Comment

No, I can bleed up to the connection between the RH rear flex line and hard line (on the back of the dust sheild). I tried the flex line to caliper but no luck, however I can only get 1/4 turn there because of some constraints.

Comment

It will take more than a quarter turn to get fluid to flow from that joint.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                        It will take more than a quarter turn to get fluid to flow from that joint.
                        yup. open those lines right up. if you get fluid between the caliper connection and the flex line, then take the bleeder completly out. place your lips on the open end of the bleeder and blow. if it flows thru there has to be a problem in the caliper.
                        if it doesnt. then get a small drill bit, and drill inside the bleeder. not big enough to cut metal, just enough to clear years of road salt and dirt that packs inside them. also take a small needle and at the base of the screw, find the hole, and insert it into there.

this should make sure the bleeder screws are clear

chad

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
                        Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

A quick update.

Passage from the brake line to the bleed screws in the rear calipers (both LH and RH) were blocked with dirt. I cleared them out and every thing bled great.

I used my home made pressure bleeder (youtube it) and it worked like a change.

What I found interesting is that the LH front caliper had a ton of air in it. I bled at least 2L of fluid though it until the bubbles stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by _JohnnyD_ View Post
                            What I found interesting is that the LH front caliper had a ton of air in it. I bled at least 2L of fluid though it until the bubbles stopped.
                            Something has to be wrong, the total volume of that circuit is only about 150cc.

Comment

When I pressure bleed, I tap the caliper with a hammer to get all the bubbles out. Sometimes you have to bled more than once especially if you totally drained the system
                              95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                              Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                              LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X