318ti trailing arms = camber mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318ti trailing arms = camber mess

Prologue: I've spent the last 3 years addressing workmanship problems inherited from the idiot previous owner, and this is just one of a long list.

1992 vert has a 5-lug setup with E36 M3 front and E36 318ti rear. With new OEM subframe bushings and trailing arm bushings, and H&R OE-sport E30 springs, the rear camber measures (using my ultra-accurate carpenter square and ruler method) -3.1 degrees at the left wheel, and -1.6 degrees at the right wheel.

The wheels are noticeably leaned in, especially the left side. The rear end is not very low; the springs are supposed to result in less than an inch of drop from stock. With 235-40-17 tires, the tire is only slightly up into the metal of the fender arch.

I'd like to be at no more than -0.5 degrees on both sides. So,

Q1: Do the above numbers indicate that my left-side trailing arm is damaged/bent?

Q2: Can a racing fabrication or alignment shop heat up and tweak the arms to hit my target camber?

Q3: With weld-in adjusters on the subframe, would I still need to replace the left-side trailing arm? How much camber can the adjusters take up?

Any and all ideas and alternative fixes are welcome.

I can post up pictures if needed, but I'm not sure what that would add to the discussion.
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

It certainly sounds like you have a bent trailing arm on the left side. The camber (or most of it) on the right could be just from the drop. A frame shop can correct the left side and probably do something on the right, but it is within the range of what a camber/toe correction kit can fix as can camber correction subframe bushings.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks - I'm going to see a very experienced and well liked frame guy Friday. Will report back on results.
      "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

Working...
      X