Rear Subframe Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Subframe Refresh

I just recently pulled a disc brake rear subframe out of my 89 325i parts car to go in my 84 318i M50 swap car. While it was out I installed Revshift poly bushings, a 4.10 LSD and painted everything while it was out. Heres how it turned out.

I reinstalled the subframe into the car by just putting a jack under the center of the diff and guiding it onto the subframe studs and then bolted it down with the impact wrench. Really a much easier job than I imagined. Anyone contemplating this job really should not be afraid. Cant wait to drive this car! Thanks for looking guys :)

Wow - glad you had such success! I'm contemplating this job too but have been nervous about actually doing it. Did you follow a specific DIY or did you just go for it?

First up is the front end - CABs, control arms etc...

Comment

I just decided to do it lol. Basicall you unhook the brake lines unhook the sway bar unhook the driveshaft unhook the diff mount unhook the ebrake cables and then just undo the guide plates on the sides of the car for the rear subframe and then undo the 2 subframe nuts. Then guide it out (may have to persuade it a little).

CABs and control arms are a breeze. Took me 30 minutes to remove and about 40 to install

Comment

It's a ton easier when it's off the car, for sure!

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Fred are you talking about the subframe or the control arms?

Comment

The rear subframe, of course. It's way easier to torque everything to spec when it's on the ground like that.

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Oh I totally agree. I cant imagine doing any of this with it in the car lol

Comment

Looks good man, I cant wait to do this on my car! Hope it goes as well as yours did.

Comment

Just try and relax when youre doing it. I find that the more I freak myself out about a job and worry about it being difficult or messing something up the harder it is for me.

Comment

i'm stuck on the subframe re-instlal part.. can only get one side in at a time. it's giving me hell. :(
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                    If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Working...
                    X