Lug Stud Interference on rear Brakes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lug Stud Interference on rear Brakes??

Hey guys, I recently threw my vert back together finishing it off with a set of BBS wheels and 20mm spacers which I purchased from ejnight.

First of all, I'm very happy with the price and quality of the spacer kit (which I purchased with accompanying extended studs for mounting) and I'm very surprised to have had this problem.

To be direct, I bolted everything back together and torqued down the wheels/spacers/studs simply to find out that I was getting some interference in the rear assemblies and the rear wheels did not want to turn.

When they did turn (with some gas, nothing crazy) there was a clicking coming from the rear hubs that increased with the rotation of the wheel.

I thought it might be something loose at first, or the half shaft clicking on something but come to find out after I removed the spacers and extended studs the noise and interference went away entirely.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem and could enlighten me as to what the studs were likely being caught on, ebrake components?

Regardless I'm assuming they were too far threaded into the hub when torqued and were causing the noise. I think I'll just be upgrading to a stud kit to ensure it does not happen in the future.
    Late model granitesilber 325i convertible FS:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=293701

Lug bolts must be correctly sized for the spacers and wheels used else they will drag on the parking brake mechanism inside the rear rotors. You can modify the lugs to avoid that. Remove a rear rotor, mount the wheel and spacer and see how far the lug extends into the rotor hat. A couple of threads exposed is fine, but more more than that means you need to shorten the lugs. Shorten all of the lugs so that you don't have to be concerned with which can only go on the rear wheels.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The lug has to extend more than a few threads into the rotor hat since it has to thread into the hub also. Measure the hub thickness and add that to the stack-up.

Comment

Where the back spacers of different thickness than the front spacers? Have you tried using a lug bolt from the front?
        1991 335is in progress

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

The spacers were 20mm all around and all of the studs were the same length, just too long.

This is the first time I've ever had an issue like this. Took me by surprise.

Just decided to return the long bolts and do the job properly with a race stud and nut kit from Kaliboy.

Thanks for the help, and remember to support our community vendors. All hail r3v
          Late model granitesilber 325i convertible FS:
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=293701

Comment

Studs are way better anyway. much easier to install the wheels
            1991 335is in progress

Comment

Working...
            X