Brakes suck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes suck?

So we picked up a 1987 325e sedan and for some reason the brakes are sooo bad its not even cool.

Pads are fine, they are brand new (yes they are installed the right way)
    Fluid is at the right level, not over max and not under min.
    The pedal is not squishy, its super firm, so it feels like your on the brakes, but the car won't stop as quickly as it should. (this makes me think they dont need to be blead.

Any ideas?
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

If one or more brake lines were clogged, the piston for that wheel would never engage the brake. This would of course lead to very very weak braking.

Different cause but same effect would be if the piston were seized.

In either case the brake pedal would feel firm. In fact it could feel firmer than normal.

Edit: how about I add a solution as well...
    Bleed the brakes, and make sure while doing so that you can move the pistons around. Bleeding will eliminate (or identify) a clogged line, and will give you the opportunity to mess with the piston.
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Yes, brakes suck. You don't need them.

But, seriously. If what is said above does not do the trick. Check ypur brake booster.
      -Andy

Comment

id start by looking at the booster first. If the booster fails it will feel like you are pushing as hard as you can on the pedal and the car is barely slowing down.

With the motor off, pump the brake pedal a half dozen times and hold it down, now start the engine. If the booster (and vacuum) system is working properly, the pedal should slowly work its way towards the floor. If it doesn't, something is up in the booster system. If the booster itself is ok, start by looking at the line running from the inlet manifold.

Then id start looking at blocked/perished flexible brake lines or a stuck piston. Most of these usually still give you fair braking ability as the other calipers continue to work properly, usually takes a combination of things to cause serious disruption.
        Just a little project im working on
        - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

How do the lines look? Replacing brake lines is never a bad idea.
          1991 318i SOLD
          2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

To me it sounds like the booster, can I use a replacement booster from a 91 318is?
            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
            willschnitz

Comment

Yes, you can
              -Andy

Comment

Working...
              X