Cracks near the shock tower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracks near the shock tower?

Hey all, I'm looking at getting a car and I spotted some small cracks near the shock tower in the engine bay, and I'm not sure if they're purely cosmetic, or reason for concern.
    I've attached some pictures with different views and angles. The picture with the yellow circle was when I kinda stuck my phone in there, and I'm not sure if what's circled is a crack or not, I couldn't see very well.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Files
    '91 325i

I do not see any sign of cracking. If the frame is straight and your camber isn't off, the car is fine.

Comment

I disagree. My sedan had cracks like that on the backside of the drivers side shock tower. It got to the point where in a hard right turn I would get tire rub... Upon further inspection, light was visible when looking into the wheel well (with hood open). I welded it, and feel it was repaired well, but my brother in law totaled the car a couple weeks later... After that experience, I would stay away from a car that showed signs of cracking in that area.

Comment

The yellow circle looks like rust, and the rest are old worn metal cracks. I bet if you look closer you'll find another in the corner of the battery tray area and under the fuse box.

E30's are at that age where this is happening, I've been seeing it more and more. It's not the end of the world, but it would need to be repaired.
        Byron
        Leichtbau

Comment

how would fix it just re weld the tower up?
          88 325is Five Speed
          Lachssilber

Comment

Yeah, that is it. I would recommend MIG with .024", the sheet metal is thin.

Comment

....It would be .023 wire. Almost all the seams on the E30 were spot welded and glued. There is a good chance that the weld is breaking but it could just be the crappy old glue drying up. Whether the spot welds actually broke, you're going to want to clean the glue off first, go to HF and get a knotted cup wheel. put it on a grinder and clean that area really well. the location of the spot welds will be visible and you'll be able to see if they actually broke. then you can stitch weld the seems back on if that's the case.

I am currently stripping all my seams and stitch welding for this reason and to hold it together once the car is built. Don't be afraid to clean that glue of, if it ever did, it has no real structural support anymore and it's covering up the possible issue you may be having. if the weld isn't cracked, seal it back up.

Take a look at my thread, you'll start to understand what I'm talking about.
              sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

So why do the cracks happen is it just age or does how much power you have make a difference too
                88 325is Five Speed
                Lachssilber

Comment

My car had the stock m42...

Comment

it could be all sorts of things. Pot holes, the tech putting the car together didn't know how to set the spot welder, the metal surfaces weren't clean, wear and tear of 20+ years of driving. It just happens. I'm stitch welding mine because of power and performance issues, but to fix a shock tower where the weld released, you'd have to do the same.
                    sigpic

Comment

if you see a crack on the surface, I'm going to almost bet you're looking at the glue. the glue applied on my car was pretty clean, but I have seen E30 where the seam glue is CAKED on. it's used to seal the seams to prevent rust, but it there is a ton of it, in the engine bay with those temps, it's going to eventually crack. to actually see if the tower or any seam on the car is cracked or separating you'll have to clean the glue off, not only to visually see it but repair it as well.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X