X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negative camber

My frame is straight. No accidents.
    Camber: -2.4 drivers side -.08 passenger
    Thinking about getting strut housing bent.
    Is it possible for strut towers to be mushroomed?
    What causes this -2.4 degrees of camber?
    Is it something a huge hammer could fix?

Or running into a curb? Lol. Whatever fixes the problem the cheapest way. No $$

Comment

A hard curb strike can bend control arm, strut, or car's frame or strut tower. The right way to fix the problem is to figure out where the damage is and fix that.

Unless recently replaced, new control arms would be the first action and checking that strut for damage would be the first action. If that doesn't fix it, take the car to frame shop.

But if you just want a quick fix, install a set of camber plates.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

i found control arms for 82 bucks with ball joints at summitt racing!

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
        Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

That's good to know, thanks. I kinda doubt control arms but who knows.

Comment

So I replaced the control arms and the negative camber is still there. What other possibilities are there? Thanks guys.

Comment

One of the strut towers has moved or the strut housing is bent.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

What's the SAI reading coming up as? Kind of hard to tell if something's bent using that if the camber isn't relatively close on each side... but I guess it wouldn't hurt to know.

Comment

I would suspect a torqued upper strut mount. When those things get hit they can sometimes bulge upward or inward toward the motor. Thats easy enough to check by just looking at the top of the mount. The mount should not be protruding out of the strut tower and it should also be centered in the opening.

If thats not it, I would suspect the strut tube is bent.

Taylor
                  Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                  Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Could bad springs, blown struts or the upper front spring plate cause this? I thought it was a ball joint but replaced it and camber is still there.

Comment

If by bad springs you mean missing a few coils off the spring, then yes, that's completely plausible. Never seen a sagging spring take camber that far, the other stuff no.

As others have said, it's probably your tubes, but there's no real way to diagnose this over the internet unless we've got camber and SAI readings. You're probably gonna want to get new strut tubes... I believe junk yards sell these by the 'knee'

Comment

Working...
                      X