Strange Brake Pedal (MC) Issue when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Brake Pedal (MC) Issue when cold

Hey everyone, I've been having a strange issue with my brakes. I have a '87 325IS with stock brakes - I have rebuilt all the calipers, new pads and rotors and have flushed the fluid out within the past 2 years. The MC has been on the car for at least 50K (the past 8 years-since i've owned it) - it might be original to the car - 185K miles.

Here's the issue. When the car sits overnight, with the first pedal push in the morning, it feels like there is a "catch" or "sticking" in the middle of the push. Basically the pedal is smooth until halfway through the travel and then you can feel a somewhat large bump and then it goes the rest of the way through its travel. It never does it again - only the first push. The MC seems to be working ok... although I wish it had a little quicker pedal response. Sometimes it seems that there is a small delay in when I want to stop and when it actually stops. But with Hawk HPS pads, it ends up gripping well in the end.

Any thoughts?

Paul

Paul,
    Sounds like there could be an issue with the MC piston or seal(s)
    After sitting all night maybe something in the pistons path might be getting deprived of brake fluid.(air)
    I'd bleed the MC and change out all the brake fluid within the MC..if that doesn't work..which it probably won't, I would change out the MC..
    Thanks,
    Stan

Comment

Working...
    X