Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to fix a friend's e30 with ABS/brake trouble. Please assist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to fix a friend's e30 with ABS/brake trouble. Please assist!

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for quite a while, looking to buy an e30 this summer if I can, but now I actually have a question with which I'm hoping you can help me out.

My girlfriend's parents own a 1989 e30. Its a vert, so it still has diving boards, but it is a 5 speed. Its a terrible blue color, but oh well. Its been garaged for what appears to be its whole life. The paint is in great condition, its got a brand new convertible top, and a new leather interior. I didn't go over the car too well, but I didn't see any signs of rust or corrosion either.

I talked to my lady's dad and he doesn't work on cars very much, but he said that it is a bad ABS module, and also one of the front brakes doesn't work. He was told that with the failure of the ABS module, the brakes themselves don't usually fail, but apparently they did.

I have pretty much no other information about the car. I know the year, and what was told to me. I don't even know who diagnosed the problems.... whether it was him or a mechanic. I'm guessing a mechanic.

I think the car is driveable, so presumably I can get it to my house to work on it, but it pulls under hard braking (obviously) because one of the front calipers isnt working.

Does this sound like a common failure? I guess what I need to know is what steps I should take to properly diagnose the issue.

I've been trying to read about it, and it seems like the replacement of the ABS module itself is pretty dang easy and cheap if that is in fact the problem. I was also reading about some relays that might be the problem? I have a pressure brake bleeder for my MK4 VW Golf that (might?) fit the e30 to bleed the brakes.

Please help me save this great car! Let me know if I need to call to find out any more info about the car!
    Last edited by Joester; 06-13-2013, 07:12 AM.

A bad ABS module could cause brake problems, but most of the time it simply causes ABS not to work. In a like manner, a bad ABS unit (or unit relays) can cause brake problems which will usually become evident when you try to bleed the brakes.

The other possibilities are sticky calipers that need to be rebuilt or a bad master cylinder.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I would be inclined to think that the ABS issue and the caliper issue are independent of one another.

I'm going to try to drive it soon to get a first hand account of the symptoms.

Comment

a lot of times if the lines fail they cause problems with the calipers, check the lines rubber or hardline, if theres any leaks or if the rubber lines look original, change them, second is the ABS light on? if it is it could mean the rely that controls the unit failed and you need a new one, also check all the ABS sensors and gently clean them. I wouldn't drive the car with one of the calipers sticking, most e30s if they haven't already need a partial brake overhaul by now
        88 325is Five Speed
        Lachssilber

Comment

Is there a cheap, but also quality place to buy a brake refresh kit online?

Like I said, I don't actually own an e30, so do auto parts places like auto zone usually stock parts for them?

Comment

blunt tech, pelican parts, bma, ECS, all sell quality stuff, Napa and oreily some times have parts in a pinch
            88 325is Five Speed
            Lachssilber

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll report back when I go check it out. I guess I need to figure out if the car has ATE or Girling brakes too.

Comment

if its a US car 90% chance that it has girling front calipers and ATE rears, also blunttech sells rebuilt calipers for 50bucks a piece, has new seals, pins refurbished pistons and corrosion protection
                88 325is Five Speed
                Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
                  blunttech sells rebuilt calipers for 50bucks a piece, has new seals, pins refurbished pistons and corrosion protection
                  Looks like autozone has the same thing if im in a pinch. thanks!

I'm betting that front caliper is just old and seized. I'm also betting the brake fluid looks like mud. :roll:

Comment

honestly they are most likely rebuilt by the same company, yeah that muddy colored fluid means something in the system has rusted, ether something in the calipers lines or master cylinder
                    88 325is Five Speed
                    Lachssilber

Comment

Working...
                    X