Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I contaminate my pads?

with shipping oil from the new rotors?

I needed to change my rear rotors to pass a provincial inspection a few years ago. So i purchased some new pads and rotors.

After doing so, My new pads were CRAZY dusty and squealed terribly. After seating them properly too.

So a year goes by, and I get some new pads that are supposed to be low dust. Sure enough they keep the dust off my wheels, but boy do they squeal!!

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've never had a car squeal this bad. I recall cleaning my rotors thoroughly with brake cleaner when I installed them.

I'm considering just purchasing some new pads and rotors all over again, but they are both still very new. maybe resurface??

thanks in advance
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

a lot of times pads can be noisy even if you did nothing wrong. it seems to be the luck of the draw unless youre using a particular pad youre familiar with. fwiw my last pads would give a little squeak once in a while but were quiet most of the time. they were semi-metallic. the last time i changed all the pads and rotors i just bought the cheapos from rockauto.com. i believe the pads were ceramic friction masters. ive never heard a peep from them and the reduction in brake dust was very dramatic. they dont seem to bite as well until theyre warmed up a little. after that they work pretty well but this is obviously not a track car, so i have never done any prolonged braking with them

Comment

Low dust pads can be noisy. OE pads will be quiet, but make a lot of dust. Aftermarket pads can be both.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

You can also try putting a chamfer on the pad, so you dont have a 90 dgree angle at the rotor. also use some silicone or brake quiet on the pad BACK, not the friction surface.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
        Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

yeah, it's two different sets of pads I've tried so far...no luck from either.

At least the current set is far less dusty. But boy do they howl! I think the first set were Jurid pads. not much fun there either with dust AND noise

Really makes my daily drives to work terrible!
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

You could spray some WD40 on them to stop the squeal...

uh, jk.
            sigpic

Comment

Greasing the back of the pad will help. I'd start there first.

Comment

Working...
              X