Retrofitting or Reinstalling ABS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrofitting or Reinstalling ABS

How difficult would it be to add ABS to my e30? The car is an '87 325e. I'm astonished it's not part of the car and would prefer to have it on. I've started to assemble most of the parts. But, I can't find anyone who's done this. Just folks removing it with dreams of being Ayrton Senna. I'm no Senna. I need that safety net.

I've got the following parts:
    • ABS Computer
    • ABS pump
    • 2 front sensors
    • 2 rear sensors (same part number, so I assume they're interchangeable)
    • Some brake hard line

What I'm not sure about:
    Do I need a new master cylinder or will any with the appropriate # in/out lines suffice?
    Will the body harness have connections for the sensors and the computer if it is unmodified?
    If there's no remnant of the body harness connections, how should I wire it up?

I've looked at the Real OEM diagrams lovingly for a long time. And, I've tried to find an electrical diagram of the ABS system online and I can't locate.

So folks, tell me what am I missing? Any resources to can point me to?
    1985 M635csi Black on Buffalo
    1985 535is Zinno on Black
    1985 M635csi White on Pacific Blue
    1988 M3 Lachssilber on Black (sold)
    1987 M3 Zinno on Black (totaled)

Anyone?

Comment

According to RealOEM the 87+ 325e has the same master cylinder with or without ABS. The easiest way to see if your car has the wiring is to look for a 2 prong plug (that mates with 1 of the sensors) on the frame rail just below your windshield washer tank.

I'm removing the ABS system from my track car so I would be able to supply with any parts you may be missing.

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
        According to RealOEM the 87+ 325e has the same master cylinder with or without ABS. The easiest way to see if your car has the wiring is to look for a 2 prong plug (that mates with 1 of the sensors) on the frame rail just below your windshield washer tank.

I'm removing the ABS system from my track car so I would be able to supply with any parts you may be missing.
        Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'm certainly interested and most worried about the wiring at the moment as everything else seems easier (the hard lines for example are straightforward).

I do need the bracket for the ABS pump. But, I'm considering also adding ABS to my GF's 325 if it's not too challenging. So, I'm interesting in buying your ABS lock stock and barrel...

Comment

Schematics are here (pages 3450-0 thru 4): http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf

After looking at RealOEM again it looks like the master cylinders are different but I would think if you're changing frm non-ABS to ABS you could cap the extra front brake hole in the MC and run the ABS lines like normal.

As an FYI I have been told that it's difficult to make a good bubble flare with hand tools so you may want to consider buying pre-made lines off an ABS car (I have these is you want them) or new ones.

Comment

I just sent an '86 to the crusher last week that had all the wiring you need in it.

Comment

Interested because I don't know if the ABS in mine is even working, I have not activated it as yet, anyways.
              '90 zinno 325iS

Comment

I removed my system yesterday. The wiring (except for the sensors with their 2ft of harness of course) is too integrated into the car's harnessing to make it possible to remove without lots of work. LMK if you need any parts.

Comment

Working...
                X