Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small 72mm OD rear wheel bearing no good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small 72mm OD rear wheel bearing no good?

Gents,

I'm in the midst of stripping and painting the TA's for my large case rear end and believe the TA's I'm using (not E30, but I think E23) have the smaller 72mm OD bearing. I need to replace these as I have popped the inner out with the drive hub and cannot reassemble it.

The arms I have are much larger than the E30 ones, but I'm concerned the bearings might become a problem.

These will get a hard time once on the road, but not a huge amount of use. should I ditch these arms and set about finding something with the larger bearing (75mm OD) or am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks in advance,

Ben
    My Garage :- www.cardomain.com/id/bmwturbo

Series 1 cars right up till about 86 ran a smaller bearing. 39x72x37.

Id think it is a non issue, just check them more frequently.
    Just a little project im working on
    - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
      Series 1 cars right up till about 86 ran a smaller bearing. 39x72x37.

Id think it is a non issue, just check them more frequently.
      Thanks for that. These are E23 TA's, I really need to press it out (again) to re-measure accurately. Last night I ended up with 37mm ID 72mm OD and 42mm wide, but the OD And width I'm not 100% certain on so will recheck.

It does seem there are a few different sizes ( I found 3 difefrent sizes today, 42-80-42, 37-75-42 and 39-72-37), but if the size itself isn't an issue, I'll just correctly measure and replace them with new ones and worry about something else.

Comment

Apparently the series 1 wheel bearing is the same dimension as a Camry front bearing. Haha

Comment

So it seems my bearing measures, 37mm ID 45mm deep inner and 74mm OD. BMW P/N 33411123415

Which is from a Euro E28 or E34, neither who's crossmember looked like mine...

Comment

You knew ages ago you had some fucked up weird cross member and trailing arms though didn't you?

What diameter is your hub? that's going to determine what sized bearing you have to run. If the ID is wrong, your hub isn't going to seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
              You knew ages ago you had some fucked up weird cross member and trailing arms though didn't you?

What diameter is your hub? that's going to determine what sized bearing you have to run. If the ID is wrong, your hub isn't going to seat.
              Yeah, I knew that, the crossmembers is E23, but the arms don't match any E23 bearing size according to Real OEM that I can find. Either way it doesn't really matter, they are 37mm ID 45mm Deep and 74mm OD.

I'll press the old bearings out on the W/E and take them to CBC/BSC so they can match them next week. FAG bearings are coming up $130/pair delivered from O/S anwyays.

It isn't E30 style hubs, it's as per below, but slightly different visually.
              Last edited by BMW2JZ; 05-06-2014, 08:19 PM.

Comment

hub still fits inside the bearing though, so its going to dictate what size you have to run, unless you change the hub them too.

Yeah, I just get bearings and seals from my local bearing supplier. Rear ones for the E30 cost me about $45 each.

Comment

Working...
                X