Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do 318i brakes fit on 51mm strut housings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do 318i brakes fit on 51mm strut housings?

The answer is yes. I looked all over for an answer to this and couldn't find one, so I wanted to let others know for future reference.

I wanted to convert my early 318i with 45mm strut housings to the later 325e/es/i/is 51mm strut housings so I could run normal coilover parts, but I didn't have the vented disk calipers when I went to install them. I did a bit of research online and found that both the 318i and 325's use the same front brake pads, and that the rotors are the same diameter, so I tried the stock 318i parts on the larger struts housings and they fit perfect.

This isn't saying you shouldn't upgrade to the vented disks when you do the swap, but if you end up in the same predicament as me, at least you'll know you have another option.
    Byron
    Leichtbau

This is only true if you use the current calipers and rotors
    Originally posted by bmwm42
    PNW vulture pm me for parts
    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Correct, I guess I wasn't clear on that part. The solid disk calipers are much narrower and can't fit a vented disk inside, and vice versa a vented disk caliper will be too wide for solid disks.
      Byron
      Leichtbau

Comment

Dude thank you for this. I just picked up a used coilover set with 51mm strut housings and wanna use the stock 316i brakes till my BBK gets here. Couldnt find this answer anywhere.
        Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

Working...
        X