Caliper bolts and guide pins: Loctite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliper bolts and guide pins: Loctite?

Ok, I have done a search and of course, there are lots of different opinions on the use of thread locker on the caliper bolts and on caliper guide pins.

My front brakes are Girling and the rebuild kit included guide pin bolts with blue thread locker applied at the factory. So, I am clear with the front guide pins.

I have ATE on the rear and the new guide pins did not have thread locker pre-applied. Should I apply blue thread locker to the threaded ends of the guide pins? Is it necessary or just a "good idea"?

For the front and rear caliper bolts: blue thread locker? Necessary or just a good idea?

I am asking if it is necessary for the thread locker because everything is all put together and I will have to re-install the bolts if the thread locker is necessary. My car is street driven only daily driver. No track.

It's normal for the small bolts to have loctite on them. Usually you only get new bolts with a good quality set of brake pads and they are often coated with thread locker, otherwise the old bolts usually just end up being reused.

High temp bearing or silicone caliper grease on the slides and a dab of thread locker on the small caliper bolts is what I use on pretty much every vehicle. Same goes for the big cradle bracket bolts. When I went to school I was told to use thread locker on anything that can vibrate free and cause a failure. Seen both cradle and caliper bolts come free before, so it's worth it for just a little insurance.
    Just a little project im working on
    - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Originally posted by mark1991 View Post
      Ok, I have done a search and of course, there are lots of different opinions on the use of thread locker on the caliper bolts and on caliper guide pins.

My front brakes are Girling and the rebuild kit included guide pin bolts with blue thread locker applied at the factory. So, I am clear with the front guide pins.

I have ATE on the rear and the new guide pins did not have thread locker pre-applied. Should I apply blue thread locker to the threaded ends of the guide pins? Is it necessary or just a "good idea"?

For the front and rear caliper bolts: blue thread locker? Necessary or just a good idea?

I am asking if it is necessary for the thread locker because everything is all put together and I will have to re-install the bolts if the thread locker is necessary. My car is street driven only daily driver. No track.

Where did you order your rebuild kits?
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
        Where did you order your rebuild kits?
        I got the rebuild kits from www.ecstuning.com

Comment

Working...
        X