BBK question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBK question.

I'm about to do a 5 lug swap on my e30, the swap is coming from an e30 m3. Before I go ahead and do my swap I figured I'd be a good idea to go ahead and put in a BBK while I'm down there. this might seem like a redundant or stupid question but since I'm converting to an m3 5 lug set up I have to shop for BBK for the e30 m3 right? My question is will the kit fit. I've read that even if you do an e30 m3 5 lug swap on a regular e30 that the kits won't fit. I'd just like some clarification on this if any of you guys know more about it or have waffleswaffleswaffles an e30 m3 swap and have a BBK.

First, what are your plans for the car? Unless you're putting down big power and/or doing heavy tracking the OEM brakes should be fine. Most people who track their cars still use stock brakes with no ill effect.

Secondly, yes, if you decide to go with a BBK you will need an e30 M3 specific kit. The people saying the M3 BBK wouldn't fit on a standard e30 probably doesn't take into account the full suspension swap. If you have all e30 M3 components an e30 M3 BBK should fit just fine, assuming you are running wheels large enough to clear them.
    88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
    We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Originally posted by matthugie View Post
      First, what are your plans for the car? Unless you're putting down big power and/or doing heavy tracking the OEM brakes should be fine. Most people who track their cars still use stock brakes with no ill effect.

Secondly, yes, if you decide to go with a BBK you will need an e30 M3 specific kit. The people saying the M3 BBK wouldn't fit on a standard e30 probably doesn't take into account the full suspension swap. If you have all e30 M3 components an e30 M3 BBK should fit just fine, assuming you are running wheels large enough to clear them.
      Thanks, plans for car (at least engine wise) are still up in the air, trying to figure out what engine I want to put in it's between an s50, or ls6.

Comment

yes, E30 M3 front brakes. I ran E30 M3 H&R coil overs on my 325 sedan and used Massive Brakes E30 M3 Wilwood brake kit.

DSC_8515 by ericandshovin, on Flickr
        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
          yes, E30 M3 front brakes. I ran E30 M3 H&R coil overs on my 325 sedan and used Massive Brakes E30 M3 Wilwood brake kit.

DSC_8515 by ericandshovin, on Flickr
          Where'd you get you kit and how is it performance wise, how's the initial nite on them?

Comment

A BBK won't help you brake "better" or "harder". The primary benefit is heat dissipation, which usually only matters on the track. It's very rare to overheat brakes on the street.

Initial bite is a function of the pad selection more than anything else. On the street a pad like HP+ on OEM brakes will have better initial bite than a BBK with a high temp track pad like a DTC-70. The caveat is that the HP+ will disintegrate on the track. You really need to choose a pad for your application.

You can get the kit from massivebrakes.com.
            88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
            We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Originally posted by Rouvld View Post
              Where'd you get you kit and how is it performance wise, how's the initial nite on them?
              Performance is fantastic. I ran them all day long at the nurburgring, doing multiple back to back laps and they never had heat fade. Now that I'm back in the states, 30 minute lapping session go by without any problems. Pad selection determine the "bite" and the heat rating. My first time tracking my M3, it had street pads, 2 laps and the brakes were done. Pulled in, swapped to the track pads that came with the car purchase and never had a brake fade issue ever again. Btw, race pads on the street sucks, they don't get hot enough causing them to wear extremely quickly. However swapping between pads is a breeze on the wilwood calipers.

Originally posted by matthugie View Post
              massivebrakes.com.
              Here!
              My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Working...
              X