Leaking brake pressure regulator =S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking brake pressure regulator =S

So after having had the E30 325i -89 sit for a month there was a splash of break fluid under the engine bay.

On further inspection it looks to come from the underside of the brake pressure regulator;
    P/N: 34331152494

This thing here; (not my car)

What makes these things go bad? and what is the proper course of action here? =/

The first suspects would be the lines running to the bias valve. If they are okay and tight, replace the valve with a new OE/OEM part.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      The first suspects would be the lines running to the bias valve. If they are okay and tight, replace the valve with a new OE/OEM part.
      Thanks for the reply!

The lines are nice and snug and look healthy. And it's never been leaking from there before and now all of a sudden it's leaking, and a lot so when braking. =/
      Last edited by SmilesPerHour; 08-01-2015, 10:04 AM.

Comment

So I've found a new BPR that's on it's way.

But when I install the new part, it's only the rear brakes that needs to be bled, right?

Comment

Originally posted by SmilesPerHour View Post
          So I've found a new BPR that's on it's way.

But when I install the new part, it's only the rear brakes that needs to be bled, right?
          Technically, yes. But I'd do all four.

Keep in mind that the brake (and clutch) system needs to be flushed and bled every two years, same-same the coolant. A pressure bleeder makes this job much easier and isn't all that expensive.

You can do a flush and bleed by pushing a measured 250cc through one rear wheel caliper and 150cc through each of the other calipers. Push about 100cc through the clutch. Before starting the flush, suck the old fluid from the reservoir. One liter of ATE Type 200 (don't use ATE Blue as it can stain the reservoir) is all you need. Toss any left over fluid as it will absorb moisture and become dangerous to use.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

So I spent like 4hrs installing the damn thing and finally the leak stopped.

I had some weird looking hands after playing with brake fluids for that long, but it was well needed.

I opened up the old one but couldn't find anything visibly wrong with it. I wonder why it failed. =/

Comment

Working...
            X