24v swap, moved booster 1/2 inch, inconsistent braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24v swap, moved booster 1/2 inch, inconsistent braking

S52 swap. previously a m20 auto. Moved booster 1/2 inch. Used 328ijunkies welded clevis & retained the same brake adjustment or close to it. sat outside for 3 months covered. When swap was finished in october, bled brakes thoroughly. Pedal would almost be immediate hard and you could feel the vehicle slow down on its own. I assumed the adjustment was way off so i messed with the adjustment and now the brake pedal sits is where clevis & the rod goes together. No issues since. Planned on changing the master just because and was looking into a e32 master.

Last month, i did my front brakes & it was extremely hard to push the piston back into the caliper as i had to open the bleeder valve to do so. I then looked into caliper rebuild kits & replacing calipers. At the time my schedule did not get a chance to do but because after the drive vehicle the didnt give me issues after the brake job.

Present day, pedal became hard and same issued occured. I would have to pull up on the pedal and it would free up the rotors. Let me also add at idle the booster would hiss & when i push down it would go away and then hiss again. Now if you apply the basic common sense it would be the adjustment is still off. For me im at a loss what to do first but i know i should change the booster & the master & look into the calipers. I guess im looking for a complex answer on why everything is acting the way it is. If you were to jump into the vehicle & drive it now it would do the following.

-Hiss at idle.
    -Brake pedal be spongey but effort is average
    -When the calipers stiff pedal be hard at resting position to when you press it.
    - When i pull up the pedal, it releases & everything is okay from that point.

When i read about adjustment of the brake pedal it can be set for the sensitivity of pedal. So if its inconsistent where does that put me at?

In what order should i go as far as repairing this issue?

I think about getting a smaller booster & a new master but i have a heard from some close people they feel the smaller booster isnt enough, then again people track with that booster and have no issues. Thanks in advance

This sounds like you have a bad booster, as the vacuum assist is unpredictable.

The hiss at idle is probably from a leak in the booster's diaphragm.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
    X