Interesting Brake issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Brake issue...

Ok...so I'm running into this really small issue.

When I dropped my subframe to replace it - I also decided to change my SS brake lines to SS lines that had an exterior clear teflon coating - which would protect the SS weaves from picking up dirt particles and causing them to work their way into the lines.

Very straight forward - I've done it before, it's not difficult at all.

At the same time, I went ahead and removed my master cylinder to bench bleed it since I hadn't done it before when I removed it. Did this correctly, I thought, and got rid of any and all air bubbles within the master cylinder.

When I got everything back together, I bled the brakes using the BavAuto pressure bleeder (and of course brand new fluid) set at 15 PSI.

I went around once, then waited a night and went around the car a second time.

I'm pretty sure there's still air in the lines even though after both times of bleeding them, I've had no air come out.

Now, when I'm more than half way on the brake pedal, ALL FOUR brakes vibrate. This isn't a warpage vibration - it's something else.

Let me make note of something else - before I took my car apart, my brakes were PERFECT! I went to a track, and slowed down from speeds up to 100mph - and they worked PERFECTLY! Not a single ounce of fade or vibration.

Now vibration is apparent at speeds as low as 40 mph when I apply more than half the brakes. This, again, is not rotor warpage, I know what that feels like. The vibration occurs from all around the car. At higher speeds, I also get a lot of brake fade - where I never got any at all before.

All calipers are rebuilt, less than 5000 miles on them, all fluid was as clean as the day I put it in when removed, and all pads and rotors are in excellent shape.

HERES what I'm thinking and I wanted to see what others thought. I'm thinking that since there's still air in the lines, the fluid had boiled when I faded, and now the air bubbles are all trapped at the caliper of each line. So, when I get on the brakes, that slight small amount of air allows the caliper piston to bounce back and forth causing a slight vibration - but only under a heavy amount of pressure from the pedal.

Does this make sense? I'll be bleeding my brakes sometime this week. They work fine around town, which is why it's not so cruicial to me. Just wanted to see if other people thought this might be the case?
    - Sean Hayes

That doesn't sound like air in the lines. That normally just gives you a soft brake pedal.

Not sure what the problem is, as that's a bit of a bizarre problem to come from bleeding the brakes. Maybe a wheel weight got knocked off?

Comment

It could very well be wheel weights. I notice a VERY slight vibration at around 75-80. I'll be pullin off my wheels today and we'll see how they look.
      - Sean Hayes

Comment

I would try re-bleeding them by hand without the pressure bleeder. Maybe there was a leak somewhere in the pressure bleeder that was allowing air into the lines.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
          I would try re-bleeding them by hand without the pressure bleeder. Maybe there was a leak somewhere in the pressure bleeder that was allowing air into the lines.
          +1

I've never had good luck with those friggin things. Always worked better doin it old school. Top off, open line, hit brakes, close line, repeat. I thinks, ha!
          sigpic

Comment

tap the calipers when you bleed them. That should dislodge any stuck air bubbles.

Comment

Use a deadblow hammer when you tap your calipers. That way, you can whack on 'em a little harder and not risk damaging anything.

I hate complete brake flushing. I rebuilt the pan on a Bug with a new M/C, lines, (hard and flex) and all new calipers. What a nightmare that was... lots of bleeding (cursing too!).

Tom
              My new blog site: http://www.tomperso.com

Comment

That's a good idea, Nitro.

I'll definately be giving that a shot!

Thanks!
                - Sean Hayes

Comment

So, I got my wheels balanced - they were off actually.

However, it SEEMS to still be occuring. Don't get me wrong - the brakes work pretty good. They're not fully bled - and should be working fine!

Heres what I'm thinkin though - maybe my front suspension is stiff enough to the point that I am just really feeling the road when I brake? It tends to happen on and off - so I really don't know. It's not warped rotors - I know waht those feel like, and these are not that.

I'm also wondering what would cause something weird at around 90. When I hit 90 I get a little vibration from the rear of the car - well - not sure, but I feel it in my but and I hear a little bit of a low humming sound. I'm not quite sure why. I'm guessing it's quite possible that I need another alignment - which is highly likely since I did take my subframe apart this summer.
                  - Sean Hayes

Comment

Another Update - I was driving today and noticed an interesting brake issue. When slowing down from around 10 mph - I noticed a sort of a clack sound coming from my passenger rear of my car - almost like some give in the brake caliper. Would a loose brake pad cause this? Is it anything to worry about?
                    - Sean Hayes

Comment

Sounds like a loose brake pad - BTDT.

BTW, when something is screwed up on my car, I never call it "interesting".

:-)
                      Current Cars
                      2014 M235i
                      2009 R56 Cooper S
                      1998 M3
                      1997 M3

Comment

I've got something like this in the front left - not too worried about it, as the struts are getting rebuilt soon anyways. But I'm thinking the same thing - loose pad.

I'll be rebuilding stock calipers to finish it off.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN
                          Sounds like a loose brake pad - BTDT.

BTW, when something is screwed up on my car, I never call it "interesting".

:-)
                          I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I noticed that the inside brake pad was moving around a bit last time I was under there.

What does BTDT stand for?

Why would it be loose? That's gay. My brakes, with rebuilt calipers and new everything have less than 10,000 miles on them and only one track day.
                          - Sean Hayes

Comment

Been
                            There
                            Done
                            That

DO your pads have the retaining clip things on the back? If not, that is why it is loose.
                            Current Cars
                            2014 M235i
                            2009 R56 Cooper S
                            1998 M3
                            1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN
                              Been
                              There
                              Done
                              That

DO your pads have the retaining clip things on the back? If not, that is why it is loose.
                              Sure do. I'll have to double check them or somethin.
                              - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
                              X