Control arms and ball joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control arms and ball joints

I need to replace the ball joints (torn boots) on the e30 M3 CA's installed on my '90 325i. I see that Bav Auto seems to sell the ball joints separately, but everything I've read says I have to replace the whole CA. What am I missing?
    sigpic
    1990 325i
    GCCS, Camber plates, IE BBK, F/R sways,
    M3 control arms, EVO3 SSK, TMS chip,
    Corbeau seat, Momo wheel, custom race exhaust

Replacing just a ball joint is a bitch to do unless you have a press. It is best to get a whole new arm.
    Originally posted by cabriodster87
    "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
    Originally posted by Kershaw
    i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

I went through the same thing. I got my ball joints from discountimportparts.com, which was local to me at the time. 4 joints was around $80, $20 and a cold 12 pack of Pepsi got them pressed in at the repair shop next door.

Lowest price I could find locally on full CA's was around $170/ea. Screw that!

Do your CABs at the same time too, especially if you are gonna go rubber. I love my AKG soft urethane CABs...truly awesome improvement.

If you haven't done CA's before, I suggest you go buy a cheap 22mm wrench, and a matching 22mm stubby. Makes life much easier in there!

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

All good info...

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        I went through the same thing. I got my ball joints from discountimportparts.com, which was local to me at the time. 4 joints was around $80, $20 and a cold 12 pack of Pepsi got them pressed in at the repair shop next door.

<I have a press in my workshop, so I may try to replace the ball joints myself.>

Lowest price I could find locally on full CA's was around $170/ea. Screw that!

<Yeah, and since I already have M3 CA's I really don't want to toss them at $268 each>

Do your CABs at the same time too, especially if you are gonna go rubber. I love my AKG soft urethane CABs...truly awesome improvement.

<I already have offset M3 CAB's. If they are shot, I may upgrade to the urethane blue from Bav Auto.>

If you haven't done CA's before, I suggest you go buy a cheap 22mm wrench, and a matching 22mm stubby. Makes life much easier in there!

<I have a 22mm box/open end, the stubby I'll need to get.>

Luke
        sigpic
        1990 325i
        GCCS, Camber plates, IE BBK, F/R sways,
        M3 control arms, EVO3 SSK, TMS chip,
        Corbeau seat, Momo wheel, custom race exhaust

Comment

an alternative to the stubby is to set your cheap-o 22mm on a curb and whack it with a big ass sledge, making it into a taco.

Even if it does not bend perfectly, it is a hell of a bunch of fun.

(boring people, use a vise to bend it)

Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

If you have the aluminum E30M3 arms you can't replace the ball joints separately. You need to have the cast steel arms in order to replace just the ball joints.
            Mike

www.purems.com |Temecula, CA | 866-397-5487

Comment

Working...
            X