Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP - SS brake line install issue

Posted this on e30 tech as well. Here's what I'm up against:

Installed SS lines front and rear on my 89 325i as part of a suspension/bushing overhaul. The rear lines went on without issue, but the fronts are leaking at the caliper.

Odd thing is, as I was tightenning the line, it suddenly became very easy to turn, but wasn't getting tighter. There's still a couple mm gap between the shoulder of the line and the caliper, and I can't tighten it to close that gap or loosen it to remove the line - it just spins in place on the caliper.

Anybody experienced this before? At this point I just want to remove the line and install the stock one, but I can't get the SS line off.

Sounds like its stripped. Hold the end with a pair of pliers and turn while pulling out. That should get the end out of the caliper so you can check out whats going on.

Comment

Yep, you most likely stripped the caliper. They are made of aluminum and will strip if you are not careful.
      Originally posted by cabriodster87
      "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
      Originally posted by Kershaw
      i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
        . They are made of aluminum
        E30 stock calipers=cast iron.

And unless retapping original thread doesn't work they are scrap iron.
        Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
        BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
        BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
        BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Did you replace the middle two lines that are a bitch to get around the subframe? You mentioned you did front and rear but in reality there are six lines you need to replace. If you dont do em all your just wasting your time.
          Back to my roots

Comment

Yup. The rears went in fine, and the middle lines were easy because the subframe was off at the time. They look like a bit of a pain to access with everything in place. Thankfully, the rears don't leak, though one rear caliper had a chunk missing. Based on that and the fact that I stripped the fronts, I just replaced all four. Might as well do it all at once.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

If you damaged your braided line threads on that caliper, I have a set of IE fronts that I took off to install the RPI BBK. Let me know if you need them.

Comment

I wish I saw this sooner - ordered another set. Still, let me know what you want for them. Would be good to have a complete spare set.

Comment

$20 plus shipping, less than 2000 miles on them.

Comment

Working...
                  X