Front Subframe /wishbone Help Please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Subframe /wishbone Help Please!!

Hey guys I need help. I don't know what to do. I replaced my oil pan yesterday and I found out the subframe or wateva u call it(#1 on the graphic) is CRACKED.. very deeply.. its about to brake.. I'm afraid to drive this shit now. how hard is to repplace? price?? total the car??. I don;t know what to do. suggestions. :roll:
    IT IS BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES - emiliano zapata!

pull a good one from a junkyard car. done.

Comment

Originally posted by ptownTSI View Post
      pull a good one from a junkyard car. done.
      u know how much??. This shit looks complicate mang ..Its something i can dot it in the street?? I don't have a garage or space to work on my car. if i go to the mechanic they gonna rapeeeee meeeeee :roll:

Comment

it would probably cost no more than $50 wherever you go, even if you don't have to pull it off yourself. this isn't going to be easy you will need to use a cherry picker to fix yours and hold up the engine. at the junkyard you can usually use one of theirs for free to hold up the engine.

Comment

You have to pull the control arms, sway bar, steering rack and motor mounts to pull the front subframe. All pretty easy, should not take more than 2 hours to get out.

Good time to replace the motor mounts too. You can basically remove the subframe without moving the rack. I assume the crack is near the motor mounts? Maybe take it to a small local muffler shop and have it welded if that is feasable.

GL!
          Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
            I assume the crack is near the motor mounts? Maybe take it to a small local muffler shop and have it welded if that is feasable.

GL!
            Luke
            Yepp is near pasenger motor mount.. I gonna take to a shop, see if they can weld it for me..:) thanks

Comment

Yea, I would just have it welded. That would be a lot cheaper AND easier than getting a whole nother subframe just cus its cracked.

Will
              RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
              Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
              DaveCN = Old Man
              My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
              If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

I've heard this somewhat common on E30s. Are there any steps you can take to avoid it, or to reinforce the front subframe? I'm going to replace my steering rack soon, and I'm really not looking forward to what I see down there.
                1988 325ic Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by 325iCabrio View Post
                  I've heard this somewhat common on E30s. Are there any steps you can take to avoid it, or to reinforce the front subframe? I'm going to replace my steering rack soon, and I'm really not looking forward to what I see down there.
                  You could maybe have some plates welded up in the "weaker looking" spots. Wouldn't be a bad idea.
                  Originally posted by cabriodster87
                  "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
                  Originally posted by Kershaw
                  i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                    You have to pull the control arms, sway bar, steering rack and motor mounts to pull the front subframe. All pretty easy, should not take more than 2 hours to get out.
                    For clarity, control arms and rack don't need to be pulled out of car, just disconnect them from subframe.
                    Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                    BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
                    BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
                    BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

I went to local shops to weld it... and they didn't want to do it because is to unconfortableeee....:o

Comment

Can you post a pic of the crack?
                        Originally posted by cabriodster87
                        "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
                        Originally posted by Kershaw
                        i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

I just found 2 cracks in mine today :( ......I'm just glad I found them before they get worse.
                          '91 318is....Project
                          99 Audi 1.8t....Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
                            Can you post a pic of the crack?
                            gonnna try that...

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
                              For clarity, control arms and rack don't need to be pulled out of car, just disconnect them from subframe.
                              Yup. Good point. Just remove them from the subframe so you can remove it.

I have a spare subframe I am "modding" with new swaybar mounts and beefier motor mount points.

Just so I don't have to make this same post later...

Luke

Closing SOON!
                              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X