quick question about brake booster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick question about brake booster

Replaced MC today, but while in there noticed the pushrod that actuates the MC was free-floating inside the booster. So. . . pulled it out and out it came along with what I assume is its retainer -- a brass-collared collar with several little tabs all the way around. This part didn't seem to be damaged or bent in any way.

That didn't seem right to me. I can't, however, see inside the booster without removing it from the car, so can anyone who knows tell me if that pushrod is only held in there by spring compression between the MC and the diaphragm or is that collar supposed to lock into something on the booster.

91 318 with stock booster. Plan is to M/S50 eventually, so I'd get the correct booster for the swap now if something's wrong with the current one.
    Last edited by strad; 02-02-2007, 04:50 PM.
    The current fleet:
    1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
    1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Since I now know the answer to this question after shelling out $125.00 for a used booster, I'll share it here. The actuator rod on a 91 318 booster is supposed to be attached to the booster, not free-floating.

I would have assumed that someone here would have known that and would take the time to answer the question, since a lot of you have done engine swaps, but after this, I guess not.
    The current fleet:
    1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
    1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Comment

Working...
    X