Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shocks, springs, bushings and ?? suspesion overhaul.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shocks, springs, bushings and ?? suspesion overhaul.

Right now I have about 220k on my 1987 325is and I think its about time that I replaced the origional shocks, springs, bushings, shocks mounts and other addition stuff that should be replaced. the thing is i'm not sure what that other stuff is and i would like to put togther an order soon so that i can get going on my new parts.

I hear that oem subframe bushings will be fine, but i should get urethane CABs, but im not even sure what those are. My knowledge of the subframe bushings it about none and i need to know the names of the different bushings that i should replace at this time. i assume that my shock mounts are probabally going to be a little worn and i would like to replace as much rubber as i can in the suspension so that i can hopefull have a little more road feel and control.

The springs im going to use are H & R sports (unless someone has a good reason for me to use something else) and the shocks will be bilstens, but im not sure on the differences between sports and HDs (which one is going to be work best with the H&Rs?)

What I really need to know is what is a good site to order from and what should I do about the subframe bushings, as in what exactly should I order. I plan at getting a bently manual at the same time so that i will not go into the install clueless. The order is going to need to include everything that I will not be able to get locally at a parts store because my car is my daily and id hate to tear things apart and then have to just wait until the parts show up.

what do you guys think, im trying to keep the whole order around $700 if thats reasonable
    Last edited by LivingLegend06; 02-14-2007, 01:56 AM. Reason: clarity

$700 is basically your shocks and springs, brand new. Get Bilstein sport shocks as these are matched to your sport springs. E30 M3 control arm bushings are a good substitute to stock as they are solid and offset. You may want to change your tie rods and control arms with new lemfoerder ones. Tie rods are about $80-90, and the control arms $250?

Subframe bushings, most people go OEM or urethane, both are fine. I'd also suggest new rear shock mounts with reinforcement plates.
    Vancouver Portrait Photographer

E30 M3 Wallpapers

Comment

I was under the impression that bushings were pretty cheap. and i know i can do bilstein + H&Rs togther for 600.

Assuming my tie rods are and control arms are not bent, why would they need to be replaced? I thought that a solid peice of metal is going to be ok as long as its not gonna snap on me and its the same shape that it was coming from the factory.

I would feel ridicluous if i spend more on this car in one order than i paid for it all togther.

Comment

The control arms have rubber parts in them, the ball joints. E30 M3 CAB, $90ish, I think powerflex has some that are cheaper. Subframe bushings, depending on what you get, OEM or aftermarket, $40-90 I believe. Rear shock mounts, again, $30-$100.

These are in USD prices too, I had to pay the CDN equivalent :(. LoL. What I've spent on upgrades and repairs in the last year probably could've bought me another E30 in the states.

E30 M3 Wallpapers

Comment

trying to figure out my suspension is confusing me, when someone tells me subframe bushings i dont know what specific peices are included in that and i see a ton of different things. it looks like your right and i do need control arms, as far as i can tell its gonna be a good bit over a grand for me to do this, now i need to rethink things...

Comment

I havn't done my control arms yet but they arn't the original in there. My tie rods are rusted so I want those changed out. What does the front suspension feel like when going over bumps?

E30 M3 Wallpapers

Comment

My front suspension feels fine going over bumps. when i start moving with the wheels having changed direction while totally stopped i can feel something in the suspension move on me (dont know if its front or rear, could be both). At higher speeds the steering response is a fraction of what it is at 30mph. i also have a creaking sound coming from the rear when i turn sharp right, at first i thought it was my differential, but then it should happen both ways.

Now that ive realized that the ball joints cannot be replaced with out doing the whole control arm, that must mean that somebody somewhere along the line replaced mine at some point (I hope), but then again the previous owner did secure the center console by NAILING IT INTO THE SHEETMETAL, so who knows how long its been.
              Last edited by LivingLegend06; 02-14-2007, 03:56 AM.

Comment

I'm doing the same thing - my car also makes the grinding sound and I'd be interested in knowing what that is.

Also, are the Meyle heavy duty rear shock mounts that bavauto sells good ones?

Comment

What are you using the car for? If you're not tracking or AutoX-ing, you can go with Bilstein Touring shocks for about $230 a set and keep your stock springs or go with a slight lowering spring that is still fairly soft. Buy all new OEM rubber mounts and bushings and you'll have a better than new suspension that's still good for the street. You're right about the Bilsteins and H&R Sports. Figure over $1K and a "firm" ride that to some means "too stiff" for rough pavement. Anyway, start from what traits you want in the car.

Comment

Here's a short list of what we recommend
                    Front
                    Springs, shocks, control arm bushings (2), inner ball joint (2), outer ball joint(2), tie rod ends (2), strut mount/bearing.

Rear
                    Subframe bushings(2), trailing arm bushings, springs, shocks.

That'll pretty much replace everything that's rubber.

If it's just a daily driven street car, replacing with new rubber components is the way to go. No maintenance required and they'll be quite comfortable. The new springs/shocks will do enough to increase the performance of the car.

We carry everything you, feel free to email or call if you have any questions!
                    Mike

www.purems.com |Temecula, CA | 866-397-5487

Comment

Originally posted by Mike@PureMS View Post
                      Front
                      Springs, shocks, control arm bushings (2), inner ball joint (2), outer ball joint(2), tie rod ends (2), strut mount/bearing.
                      Go OEM M3 offset for the control arm bushings.

Comment

If all original, at 220k I'm going to be surprised if the car doesn't need new control arms, tie rod ends, trail arm bushings, subframe bushings and a few other things. A full refresh would include:

Shocks
                        Upper strut/shock mounts
                        Spring pads
                        Tie rod ends
                        Control arms & bushings
                        Rear trailing arm bushings
                        Subframe bushings
                        Sway links and bushings
                        Motor, transmission, and differential mounts
                        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Why would you need to replace the control arms? Aren't those just metal?

Comment

Originally posted by dasvolk View Post
                            Why would you need to replace the control arms? Aren't those just metal?
                            they contain the ball joints, which wear and need to be replaced.

I keep playing with an order on Turner motorsports and it puts me at $1,257.75
                            I think ive got everything that I need for suspension except for sway bar related stuff and tie rod ends. I also have some other items that I need to order and id would like to make it all in one order. I cannot find tie rod ends, 13button OBC light bar, and a hood release cable on the turner site. Does anyone know of a trusted site where I can put all of this stuff into one order?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike@PureMS View Post
                              Front

Rear
                              Subframe bushings(2), trailing arm bushings, springs, shocks.

That'll pretty much replace everything that's rubber.

If it's just a daily driven street car, replacing with new rubber components is the way to go. No maintenance required and they'll be quite comfortable. The new springs/shocks will do enough to increase the performance of the car.

We carry everything you, feel free to email or call if you have any questions!
                              in the front you forgot sway bar bushings and sway bar links... I guarantee you those will also need to be changed. While I was in the front I went ahead and rebuilt my steering rack, PS pump, replaced all 3 PS hoses and the resevoir. If you have the money and time, do that as well as it will proabably be going out soon. The convenience of buying a new CA is that the ball joint already come installed. However, if you have access to a hydraulic press, I found removing and installing new ones quite straight forward. The CA lists for 150 as oppsosed to the inner and outer BJ totals just under 70.

Also, let me know what prices you are coming up with for all those components and I should be able to beat them.
                              Last edited by Maluco; 03-17-2007, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X